Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Lucky - Luckier // or more lucky? .. Grammar help!    

Lucky - Luckier // or more lucky? .. Grammar help!

Samantha.esl
Italy

Lucky - Luckier // or more lucky? .. Grammar help!

I �m sorry I �m postin this again but I �ve recieved some PMs from members who say they could not post their answer on the post and I �d love to read them! For some strange reason I could only read parts of the PMs...

Let �s see if this works this time.

Hello everyone,

I �ve seen that we are allowed to ask on the forum about grammar doubts, and I have one now. It �s about comparative adjectives...

Today we were going through the grammar rules on how to use comparative adjectives with my adult students and when we got to these ones:
wet -  lucky - dirty -  clever -  new -  gentle.

I got this doubt: Do we say dirtier? or
MORE
dirty? ---- What about WET can you say WETTER?
Should we applied the rule to wet in that it says: short adj, add ER, if the adj. ends in vowel + cons. dupplicate the consonant...

I was really confused .. I felt during a lapse of seconds as If I had never written nor seen those words... Embarrassed

And what about CLEVER or GENTLE? These adjectives fit the category of �some � two syllable adj., which do not take - ER? as an exception to the rule?

The rule says that :
To form the comparative of one-syllable adjectives and some two-syllable adjectives we add �er:  tall � taller, narrow � narrower

Also, some short adjectives which end in vowel + consonant should take a double

consonant and when students asked me about the word NEW for instance, I

couldn �t explain WHY don �t those adjectives dupplicate the W..

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Samantha

edit: I hope you forgive me for such long post.

4 Sep 2009      

goodnesses
Algeria

You could have answered those PMs to see.

5 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Goodnesses, she said she can �t read the entire pm and I think it is good if the discussion is out on the main forum anyway, as it may help others with the same question. Don �t you agree? : )

I won �t go into the grammar here (it �s Friday night and my brain is done in), but we say:
dirtier, wetter, cleverer, gentler, taller, narrower.

5 Sep 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

Hi! Two-syllable adjectives ending in -y, -le,  -er and -ow take the inflected forms -er and -est like  one-syllable adjectives. 
As regards new, I think it �s because -taking phonetics into account- it �s not a short vowel sound and that �s why you don �t double the final consonant, but I �m not sure now... I �d have to do some research on that!!! I studied it a long time ago...hahaha, anyway, maybe others can say if I �m right or not about that one... Hope it helps.
Hugs,
Luj�n

5 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hi again,

I �d like to say thank you to the people who sent me a Pm just now. Shame this couldn �t be shared on the forum because I �d like to answer to everyone and discuss on the topic a bit. But I see some people like Godnessess find it bad to have this sort of posts.

I thought it was great when the other day someone asked about prepositions and many teachers answered and I learnt something else. Which I should know of course, but even though I �ve studied English so many years, sometimes I feel I know nothing!! hehe

I know the rules, the basic ones about comparative and superlatives I was just so confused about the ones which finish with W... (and I guess this is becasue I was not too good with phonetics when studying at University and the profesor I had was so scary, I still don �t know if I got too many Below standards because of fear of the teacher or because I didn �t know..)..hehe

Also I saw the word WETTER so odd! As if I had never seen it before.. 

5 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

But I see some people like Godnessess find it bad to have this sort of posts.

Thanks. You are right it is my fault and shame on me to have tried to help.

EDIT: If you just had a look at some post below (regardless of the tens of past threads) you would not have said what you said.

But anyway, if you need any help, you can always PM

RE-EDIT: Good for you that you can read and answer PMs

5 Sep 2009     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi!
The rules you mentioned in your post are correct.
Hope the following will make it clearer to you.

Number of syllables

Comparative

Superlative

one syllable

tall

+ -er

taller

+ -est

the tallest

two syllables

(ending in �y �)

noisy                      

happy

other 2 syllable words

modern

famous

+ -ier            

noisier 

happier

more

more modern 

more famous     

+ -iest

the noisiest

the happiest

most

the most modern

the most famous

three syllables or more

important

expensive

more

more important

more expensive

most

the most important

the most expensive

Examples

Adjective

Comparative

Superlative

cheap

cheaper than

the cheapest

hot

hotter than

the hottest

friendly

friendlier than

the friendliest

beautiful

more beautiful than

the most/ least beautiful

Irregular adjectives

Adjective

Comparative

Superlative

good

better than

the best

bad

worse than

the worst

far

farther / further

the farther / the farthest

little

less

the least

Al.

5 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Comparatives to your words are:

wetter
cleverer
luckier
dirtier
newer
gentler

5 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

@Goodnesses:

I said I �d like to thank you to the people who messaged me. Earlier today I couldn �t read them!
If you are so bothered by the post, don �t answer it! or are you some kind of board moderator telling people what they should do, say and write?.

This is weird.

@Ayaniw, thanks.. I do have those kind of charts I was looking for some further linguistic answer not the basic rules.

Ciao...Cheerz!

-thanks Manonski, same answer gave TInt.. Thank you TInt

BFN

5 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Samantha,

I think your doubt has to be with two-syllable adjectives:

* those ending in ful or re usually take more and most

doubtful    more doubtful    most doubtful
obscure    more obscure     most obscure

* Those ending in er, y or ly usually add er, est:

clever       cleverer           cleverest
silly           sillier               silliest

As regards why wet doubles the last consonant whereas new does not, the rule says one or two syllable words ending in   consonant + vowel + consonant     should double the last consonant when adding  a suffix.

Hope it helps!  Smile

ps Do not worry. Your post was correct. It is great to share. None of us knows everything and this is the best way to brush up our English  Smile

Hug

edited: the rule refers to the sound and not the spelling.

5 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Samantha

We all know that generally there are rules but we also know that often the rules do not fit and we want to know why - afterall, our students often want to know why and we as teachers want to be able to explain why instead of saying we don �t know.

In your examples dirty and lucky generally follow the rule of ier/iest.

For wet follow the rule.

For new the double the consonant rule does not apply (does not apply to C-V-C words ending in w, x, y and z). [ http://www.english-zone.com/teach/crules1.html ]

For clever and gentle - you can use either rule; both are acceptable.  Cleverest/most clever, gentlest/most gentle. Grammar guru Swan states that the use of most (more) is becoming more common.  As such, although we have a traditional rule for for two syllable adjectives in reality the rules are flexible.  He recommends checking a good dictionary to see which is the most acceptable. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jayho

5 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >