Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Need some help in elementary classes    

Need some help in elementary classes

Lucia13
Armenia

Need some help in elementary classes

Hi everyone,
I �m really happy to join such a big and fun teacher community where everyone is ready to share with ideas and make contributions.
To tell the truth,I need some help in elementary classes.Having only one year experience in teaching,this year I am going to teach elementary classes,namely Grade 1,2,3.The school I used to teach was rather small and there were maximum 13 styudents in each class while in the new school I �m going to have more than 30 students in each class so I �m really at a loss about checking homework.Can anb please give me some ideas and tips how to check homework and at the same time not to lose control of the class?
Waiting for responses plz

5 Sep 2009      

borna
Croatia

What age are your students? The best formula for me with all ages is KEEP THEM BUSY, and change activities every 10 minutes - or oven more often, depending on age, capability to concentrate etc.

Alway have more activities than you need, and be sure to have an extra acvitity for the end of the class - if you don �t get to use it, you can make it a homework for the next class.

If you have resources, use many transparencies, and ask them to copy the exercises, sentences or rules, and this gives you some time to check their homework, grade the tests or dictations or whatever. Of course, this works only with older stidents, that can write and read.

5 Sep 2009     

mariaelaine
Malta

Hi Lucia, I like to tell students to swap copybook and correct each others � work. I write the answers on the whiteboard.  This saves me a lot of time as I do not need to get into the nitty gritty when I collect them.   Hope I have been useful : )

Regards,
Mariaelaine

5 Sep 2009     

Lucia13
Armenia

The thing is i �m going to start teaching them the alphabet,they dont know how to read or write in English but French and they �ll have their homework in their workbooks,but how to manage to check the homework of 30 or more students in a 50-minute lesson,thats what I am concerned about.However u gave me some good ideas,thanks:)

5 Sep 2009     

silvia.patti
Italy

If they can �t read or write, what kind of homework have you to check?

However you can teach them the colours and give them printables to paint while the checking

5 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

With that kind of group it is practically impossible to check homework DURING the lesson. Can �t you do it AFTER the lesson?
If not, you can always gove them something to colour, but I �m affraid you �ll have to monitor this acivity as well.
In this website you can find a variety of amazing worksheets for your needs, especially for teaching alphabet.

5 Sep 2009     

skittles
United States

I have my first graders check their own work by checking with a partner, or maybe they could check each others work??

5 Sep 2009     

Lenka 72
Czech Republic

Hello Lucia.

In my oppinion the main problem is not checking homework but making conversation. I can �t imagine speaking and conversation excercises with so many students. However, you can check the work after the lesson.

5 Sep 2009     

Lucia13
Armenia

There �s one more possible variant,maybe I need to assign the exercises at class and manage to check them quickly 5 or 10 min before the bell,as not all the students would finish it at the same time???Is it reasonable?

7 Sep 2009