Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Any original ideas for the first lesson?    

Any original ideas for the first lesson?

yolprica
Spain

Any original ideas for the first lesson?

Hello dear teachers, I suppose many of you have already started your school year and therefore you have had your first lesson, can you share any original ideas for that day? I start September 14th but I want to be prepared for that day.
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

5 Sep 2009      

navarrovizcaino
Spain

im beginning on the 9th with 1st of bachillerato and im doing a speaking lesson to recap what they have been doing this summer (we might have a contest to see who did the most interesting thing) and then we will discuss about classroom rules, what I expect from them and they expect from me, etc.. its only 55 minutes class so wont have time to do much!!

it all depends on the level you are teaching! with little ones you can do vocabulary games, naughts and crosses, find someone who..., etc.

i like doing the rules thing as they need to sign the paper and they get really engaged with that!!!
i hope it helps you!!

5 Sep 2009     

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

I do a guess and win game. I bring to class a cloth bag full with different things like: an apple, cheap but nice accessories, coins, hair ribbons, praying beeds rosary, some food....etc. I ask students to guess as they will win whatever they shall guess. It �s a welcome back to school gift. For the next lesson i ask the sts if they are interested in playing it to the class. We all love it i even won a watch once Smile

Take care
Ahlam

5 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

type "first" in the search engine at the bottom of the home page and you�ll find several threads with the ideas that you need. i tried to copy/paste the link, but it opened a totally different page ... so you�ll have to do it yourself. good luck Thumbs Up

5 Sep 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

Hi dear colleagues,

What do you suggest for beginners(they are 8 -9 years old).They neither speak nor write English.

Thanks

5 Sep 2009     

yolprica
Spain

Thanks for giving me ideas. You are very helpful.
Hugs from Spain
Yolanda

5 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi miyoko

I would start with English as they are supposed to be eager or at least curious to learn something new.
I�d greet them in English and encourage them to answer.

I�d take a big calendar and pointing at the  words/days in their mother tongue, I would write the day on the board and would introduce myself as "teacher" and them as students.
You may teach the way you want them to address you, too/instead.

Finally, I would teach them how to introduce themselves.

"Hi. I am xxxx. What�s your name?"  (pair/chain/group work)

If enough time, I would give them copies of the alphabet or would stick a poster on the board and play Hangman.

While playing you can call them by the wrong name and teach them to correct you by using simple language and, at the same time, teaching...how to excuse yourself for the mistake...

Hope it gives you some good idea!

5 Sep 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Tere-arg, thank you for useful suggestions and thnaks to everyone too . Also what about singing a song with them, something simple, choose a song which has such words as : hi, hello, how are you � and so on. I was recommended to include this into the first lesson with beginner level kids and gonna try this soon. 

6 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bug9KcDCYzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcTZ9Km7kCQ

The latter is easier for the students. Though, i did these with 5-6 year-olds. They might be too easy for your students ...

Btw, stand up/sit down is a classic, but works every time.

6 Sep 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

Tere-arg,Kate and Ivona, thanks alot for your useful suggestions.Surely, I will follow them
A big hug from "Morocco".

Miyoko71

6 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

A good song, very easy to work with: "Hello goodbye" by The Beatles.

Other very good game: "Simon says" to practice what Ivonna suggests: imperatives like stand up/sit down/listen/etc... I usually make them mime the actions. Great fun  Smile

6 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >