Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Adult classes duration: 3 hours    

Adult classes duration: 3 hours

brookee
United States

I teach adults for that duration too.  I don �t find it to be a long time at all.  We �re usually working at full speed up until it �s time to leave.  I once had a student tell me, "In every class you burn the wick until the very end."  I thought that was funny:)

I think the key to getting through long class sessions is varying the types of activities as those before me have mentioned.  Also, ease into a routine so that students will know what to expect and when...adults appreciate that.

If you �re looking for specifics, my classes usually do:
*dictation exercises
*journal writing
*check previous day �s homework
*oral pair work
*some textbook exercises
*listening with a CD
*and we always get up and move around for a game or activity at some point

My classes take a 15 min break mid-way through the class.  Good luck!  It �ll be great.

8 Sep 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

try boardgames / pairwork games with shy students - they can make your ss talk :-)

8 Sep 2009     

readingaol
Portugal

Smile Thank you all!

8 Sep 2009     

merywell
Spain

Hi everybody, What do you usually teach to adults? I am also going to start teaching adults (30-50 years old) but the problem is that I�ve never taught adults! so I am quite lost. It is a course that has been organized by the council in my town and I have to prepare all the material because there are no books, no Cds, anything. Moreover, it is the first time they learn English, this means they don�t know a word in English so this is more diffucult for me because I cannot use a film or CD programme as starter as some of you pointed out.

Can you help me with teaching ideas, worksheets, games, etc?? I hope you can.

Thanks a lot

9 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2