Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > need to improve higher-order thinking skills    

need to improve higher-order thinking skills

maiagarri
Thailand

need to improve higher-order thinking skills

hi to all.
yesterday, we got the results of an english test taken by our students and given by the province. since our school is the only school with an English Program (health, science and math are also taught in english), it was expected that our students will top this test. lo and behold, we were disappointed. the highest rank we got was 300 (gasp!) and it is such a big blow to us as we are supposed to have taught English in many subjects.
i know there are many factors regarding this failure, but as we discussed among my co-teachers, we found out that the students lack the higer-order thinking skills: inference, critical thinking, analysis and problem solving. many of the reading passages had questions that require these skills. 
does anyone know of any reading activities, websites and anything related to the improvement of such skills?
thanks so much!

9 Sep 2009      

arlissa
United States

We use the book series called "Reading Advantage". The comprehension questions use some inference and critical thinking. However, incorporating more surveys, chart interpretations, write-the-story-ending, chain stories, and discussions would be a great way to improve these skills as well.

9 Sep 2009     

Sulany
Brazil

Hi

I like the series "Reading comprehension - Skills and Strategies" by Saddleback Educational Publishing. It helps students to develop critical thinking skills, it is very practical and has lots of exercises. It is photocopiable,too. 

9 Sep 2009     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Sulany, just checked it and it�s great!!

9 Sep 2009