Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Which Flag to Display?    

Which Flag to Display?

douglas
United States

Which Flag to Display?

Hi Everybody,

After about 10 months of displaying the flag of the country where I live and work (Germany), I have decided to change it to my country of origin (USA).

I know this is an OLD(!) topic of discussion for some of us, but I thought I should let you all know I have decided to "come over to the �dark � side"Shocked

This isn �t anything against Germany, I love this place and plan to happily live here the rest of my life (god willing).  The main reason for the change is I am tired of always telling people I am a native speaker (like it is really THAT big of a deal?). 

While I was at it and in celebration of the renewal of my teaching contract last week,  I decided to update my avatar with a recent photo of me (look what teaching ESL has done to (for?) me.  Approve

I am thankful everyday that I found this site and the wonderful community we have here.  You have all contributed to making me a better teacher and I would like to thank each one of you for that.

Thanks!!

Douglas

16 Sep 2009      

Tata_Teacher
Brazil

I had the same doubt... I �m Brazilian but currently living and teaching in the US. I chose the US flag just for that reason, but I do wish I could have both flags displayed. Since I can �t do that, I choose to have a typical Brazilian character as my avatar. Problem solved!
I have both flags displayed in my classrom though. :-)

16 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

Same here,  2 flags would be great since I am a Canadian /native speaker who has made her home in Israel.
A flag for native country and a flag for where you work ( for those who don �t work in their home country)  would be great.

By the way Douglas,  you look different but you aren �t going to scare anyone off the site.  Just kidding.  You look fine.

16 Sep 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Hi,

I �m Palestinian but currently living and teaching in the Saudi Arabia , my second home.

For me , it is better to show my nationality than my permanent residency. 

Regards,
Noor

16 Sep 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Hi there!

I do not know what flag I would use if I were working in a different country than mine.

Now we see a "new" Douglas, new pic, new flag... looking nice Douglas!

16 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

"fine"? "nice?" why don �t you quit the euphemisms for once and tell (the man) the truth - that he �s better off with the former hair style! bah! Cool or is it me again?? Ermm

16 Sep 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Everyone has his / her own opinion Ivona...

If that�s yours... that�s ok

For me he looks nice and that�s it!

16 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

Ivona - nobody really cares what you think.  Go take a nice pill and come back. 

16 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Ha! I think Ivona was just playing with Douglas : )

Thanks for putting your nationality, Douglas. I always wondered : ) I knew you were a native, but not sure if you were Brit or American. I solved the problem by putting my nationality in my �About me �. South African living in Brazil. Hm... wonder if I should change flags... just because. The site has so many Brazilians, but not many South Africans.

16 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

Thanks for the support ladies.

Ivona--Your reaction is not unusual here at home either.  I just keep telling people that I am catching the early trend towards long hair much sooner than most.  Look around at the younger "kids".  Long hair is coming back (theoretically/historically it has to happen, we just celebrated the 40th anniversary of woodstock).  In 5 years you will be telling me how bad I look because I cut my hair short again.

Tint-A South Africa flag explains a lot too.  I wondered about your nationality as well.

In the mean time I �m thinking about growing my hair to "Rock Star" length (well below the shoulders).  Then I can go to big hotels and pretend I am a big rock star and get free drinks and get invited to wild parties--could be fun.  Big smile

16 Sep 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Hehehehe... Douglas I can �t comment yet because I can see no difference in your hair-style on my pc yet.Smile �The flag has changed �but to me you look the same as everCool. �Ahh...maybe I should get spectacles . Anyway all I really look at are fluffy squirrelsWink

Caroline�Hug

16 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >