Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Apart from Simon says...     

Apart from Simon says...

Neda
Argentina

Apart from Simon says...

Do you know another games to teach Commands and Imperatives?The sts are 8 years old.

17 Sep 2009      

Akanah
Spain

Hi!

Numbers TPR:

* Do simple actions for the children to copy, giving the instructions as you do so: jump, clap your hands, touch your toes, click your fingers, point to your nose, stamp your feet....

* Now tell the class to perform each action a different number of times, encouraging the class to count with you as you do all the actions. Jump four times: one, two, three, four. Clap you hands six times: one two three four five six...

I friend of mine gave it to me, I know it �s from a book, but I don �t know its name :S

Hope you find it useful,
 Olga

17 Sep 2009     

SMAgnes
Hungary

1. You can ask them to tell you instructions in English and you will do them. (Standing on a desk is funny..., or if they want you to leave the room...)

2. You can tell them they are robots and they have to follow the instructions.

3. One of the children do an activity, the others guess it.

4. One of your best students directs the others.

5. You start a sentence  and they have to finish it.

17 Sep 2009     

epit
Turkey

There is an activity called "be a film director".For this,you are making four or five person group.They think about a scene from a film or they can makeup themselves .One of them become the director ofthe film .He or she gives the commands and the others fullfill her/his imperatives by moving.

17 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

You can also use some simple recipes, like pancakes or fruit salad, which is also great for vocabulary.

Try these links:

Have fun!

17 Sep 2009     

Lucia13
Armenia

While teaching Imperative my students and I recalled and made a chart of Classroom rules,like
Listen to the teacher
Throw the garbage in the wastebasket
Be kind to others
Don �t eat or chew a gum etc.
Then they were assigned to prepare a sign of Classroom rules which we hang on the board.They enjoyed it much!

17 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I did something similar to lucia with my 6th graders. i had them make big posters with classroom rules and I choose the best three to laminate and hang in the class. It was really nice. I even took the posters home when school ended because they were sooo nice!

A while ago I saw a beautiful activity posted here. (I cannot remember the author �s name but I �m sure you can find it under imperatives on the site) The activity consisted of a set of cards with stick figures sitting or standing in different positions. The students had to work in pairs. One gets the card and tries to manouvre the other students into the same position as the stick figure by giving commands such as �lift you right leg � etc. I thought it was pretty briljant and I �m sure to try it this year when the subject comes up.

17 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Wow, marion_g! That one �s really great! I �m already getting ideas. It could also be done with the Present/Past Continuous. One student has a picture of a family or people in the street and they are all doing something. The student then has to give instructions to the others, You are a baker. You �re baking Bred. Marko, you are a dog, you �re running, etc.

The other day, someone asked about imperatives, so here �s the thread:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=11864

17 Sep 2009     

piedadrosell
Spain

I use this game to practise vocabulary. the students are sitting in lines, you can give one name to each line of students, for example food, If there are five lines, the first line would be tomatoes, the second line cheese, the third sausages, the fourth chocolate cake, and the last one ice cream, then you have to say: cheese and ice cream swap places, so students have to stand up and change their sites. It is a very funy activity that children like. At least my students do. I hope it will be useful for you as well

17 Sep 2009     

lady_alicze
Poland

Hi Tongue

I know one game which is very simple. You may say it or sing it (singing is more interesting for kids :) It goes: "If your name is Mike, stand up and clap your hands. If your name is Anna, stand up and pull your ears. If your name is Alice, stand up and touch sth yellow, etc.

My kids like, they must be careful and listen to all my words.

Hugs, Big smile

17 Sep 2009