Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My trip to London    

My trip to London

Zora
Canada

My trip to London

Hi there friends,

Some of you have asked me to describe my short trip to London, so I have decided that I will. Sorry, if I am taking up too much space on the board...

Let�s see... we arrived in Stansted at 11:00 am and it was, of course, raining, even though the weatherman had assured us that it was going to be sunny and warm! Stansted is an extremely busy airport which surprised me since I have been to Francfort, Madrid, Toronto and all of them are busy International arports but they were nowhere as busy as Stansted!

After we arrived, we caught the bus into London Victoria Station. A great way to travel as you got to see the towns as you travelled. The houses and buildings were just along the way  were just so...quaint! It actually reminded my sister and I of certain parts of Canadian cities. It actually felt like being back home at times too. We both would love to go back at Christmas just to see the houses lighted up with Christmas lights!

That afternoon, we strolled along the Victoria Station area, where we spend a good hour in Westminster Cathedral. It was absolutely beautiful. So different from the churches in Spain. It�s quite obvious that Catholicism  was lived differently in England. Here the cathedral wasn�t as sombre, nor were the paintings as dark or depressing...

The Second day, we went on a bus tour around the city where we went past all the major sites like The Tower of London, The Parliment, Buckingham Palace,  Madame Tussaud�s, Nelson�s Column � where much to my delight was the Canadian Embassy with all the provincial flags waving from the building!  

Then we went on a riverboat tour along the Thames. Great fun, the guides were knowledgable as well as hilarious! In the evening, we went out to have curry! Love curry! So that was a nice way to end off a long day.

The second last day, we spent mostly at two museums � The Natural History Museum and The Victoria and Albert Museum...and well, let�s just put it this way... I need to go back just to finish seeing everything! I probably got half way through the V&A before we had to leave. In fact, in my opinion the V&A probably outshines the British and I�ve not even been there yet!! It is such a wonderful museum, a definite must to see.

And afterwards, we caught a bus to Essex where we had booked a room since our flight home left early and we needed to be at the airport at 6am.

The only bad thing about this trip is that I didn�t get to see Lisa (libertybelle)! She was in London too but we just couldn�t seem to get our schedules right, no matter how much we tried! Next time, we definitely need to talk before going!! Wink

17 Sep 2009      

MissAdrianita
Argentina

Big smile What a wonderful experience!!! great description of your trip...I would like to go there someday!!!.Regards from Argentina

17 Sep 2009     

Adva
Israel

thanks for sharing your trip to England I enjoyed reading it.I dream to get there too one of the days. Adva from Israel.

17 Sep 2009     

Mrs Matilda
Sweden

Nice reading about your trip to London. I love going to London and have visited the city many times. Last time we were there was in July, this year. Among many other things we visited Houses of Parliament and watched/listened to  a debate in the House of Commons. Really interesting!

17 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

Sounds like you had a good time.  Glad you are back safely.

17 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

Wow - now you sound like a real teacher!!! But what did you buy? Did you meet any interesting people, handsome men, any flirtations?

Don �t hold out on us, I �ve spent the weekend celebrating my 2 year old daughter �s birthday, my house was full of children and the cake got spread on every possible surface.

Now, please don �t let us read between the lines, tell us HOW WAS THE TRIP REALLY?

Wink

Sasa

17 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

OMG... Sasa!! LOL Well, here �s the dirt!

The tour guide on the River boat ride was to die for... I think I stared more at him than at the silly old buildings going by! Wink No, just kidding, he was cute though and funny and he called me lovely... Almost took him home with me to Spain for that... lol

Then there was this funny - and I mean just hilarious - bus driver. It was at the end of the tour - it was a hop on, hop off thing - and we needed to get back to Victoria from Paddington but his last stop was Marble Arch. Anyways, he went out of the way to drive us back to Victoria and we spent the last 20 minutes laughing the whole time as he told us some great stories about London - like the Hilton has 28 stories BUT it was supposed to have 36... and that is because the one complaint they got about the height of the Hotel was from the Queen! It overlooked her garden! Then there was this woman in the V&A who was explaining to us about some mosaics there and we got into stories about other things... London has such great people!

I went with my sister and parents, so we did end up quarrelling quite a bit but amazingly we were able to soothe things over by dinner time! lol You see, my dad had an overwhelming need to have lunch at times... but by the time he remembered that he was hungry, it was 3 o�clock and lunch was over! lol So, we had a few "friendly discussions" about that, especially since my sis and I were not overly hungry by then and we were then dragged to find somewhere that served food...

And food-wise... my mum and sis had a milkshake every day!! Sometimes twice! lol Milkshakes are just something the Spanish don �t know how to make and sis loves them... (I am lactose intolerant so no, I did not partake! lol )

And I basically bought stuff for baking like All Spice and Ginger and then some chocolate bars and other goodies... not all that interesting... just stuff I couldn �t buy in Spain or in Spain is more expensive even with the exchange rate! Which is crazy...

Oh and the one flight attendant on Ryanair was super sweet too... to bad he was too young for me! LOL

17 Sep 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

Lovely description.Thanks for sharing it!!

17 Sep 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Lucky you! Last time I went to London (February), I broke my ankle 5 hours after my arrival and got surgery twice (one in London, one back in M�laga) Confused But, I �m going back next February :=) Hope this time I don �t come across with any broken sewer Tongue

BTW, you can also find lovely churches and cathedrals in Spain. Lots of them are, as you said, dark and depressing but, you can also find modern and wonderful ones. Malaga �s cathedral (my home town) is amazing!

Regards,
 Olga

17 Sep 2009     

cristinacarre
Spain

hello, thanks for the site, I need know if there are some  book to teach with games and other with short easy stories to teach my young students.
thanks a lot.

I don �t know how to use the foro.

thank you

17 Sep 2009     

i_love_english
France

To cristinacarre

At the bottom of the page there �s a link that says "Start a new topic". You just need to choose a title and write your message.
Good luck
Steph

17 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >