Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How do schools work in your countries?    

How do schools work in your countries?

cgato
Portugal

We were told-by our beloved government- that Finnish teachers were the best in Europe. Students had also the best results!and it �s true. Maybe some of our Finnish colleagues can teach us HOW to do it! Am not being ironic, ... just desperateLOL
Seriouly, if a member of printables is from Finland I would love to know how your schools work!

Again (and I �m going to correct my placement tests now) best regards from Portugal. Hug

17 Sep 2009     

melahel7
Canada

In Qu�bec, Canada, elementary school starts at 7:50 am and ends at 2:40 pm.  Add an hour for the secondary level (high school).  We have 5x60-minute periods. This timetable is used across the province for public schools.  We have 180 school days and it usually starts last week of august to end around june 23rd.

18 Sep 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Cristina
Sorry I didn �t see your post before; this is a very important problem we have here in our country. We have students in a jail for hours and hours, and after a few hours students must stop, have a break, change activities.
The same with teachers, we spend hours and hours, in my school doing NOTHING,for many reasons, but the most ridiculous is that we don �t have enough rooms to stay and work, so they put, let us say, 3 or 5, or 7, or 9 teachers, all in the same classroom, waiting for someone to be called... because one teacher is missing, or waiting for some student to show up an d say: I need help in this or that subject.
Up tll now, after 5 or 6 years of this movie, I can say that I gave a little help some four or five times.
They pay me to sit and stay.
BUT I DON´T LIKE TO SIT AND STAY. I WANT TO WORK. TO STUDY, TO BE WITH MY STUDENTS.
Not staring in a room with lots of teachers just talking, because we can �t do anything.
Cristina, I think you should recover this thread and repost it again. It is a very important problem, if others don �t feel the same problem at least we, Portuguese teachers, know exactly what we are talking about.

Big, big kiss
linda

18 Sep 2009     

Rosa F�lix
Portugal

Your discription of our "educational ( and entertaining) system" is very accurate!

I�m writing just to say how desperarate and desillusioned  I feel as well.

Over the last years, teachers became the bad guys. Parents have no idea of how much we work and care about our students.

Moreover they forget we are parents as well. We have no time to talk or play with our children - teachers �children have less rights than the other - When my daughter was 2 years old, I was 400km away from home.

Our government simply chose to forget  idea that appart from the work at school we take work home to do overnight, over the weekend... and still they �ve elected us as one of the main causes of the disaster of the public economy. I fell so sad!!! However I love professio/vocation and my students. I �ll go on teaching!

18 Sep 2009     

Denisa
Romania

QuoTE: "Over the last years, teachers became the bad guys. Parents have no idea of how much we work and care about our students..
Moreover they forget we are parents as well. We have no time to talk or play with our children - teachers �children have less rights than the other..
Our government simply chose to forget  idea that appart from the work at school we take work home to do overnight, over the weekend..."

wOW Rosa! YOU TOOK THE WORDS FROM MY MOUTH! I could �t have said it better, even though we are not living in the same country...that shows how much our school systems are related!
Unfortunatly, what you �ve said it �s so painfully right! I have never had time for my own children(everytime I remember that I feel like crying..) and I still don �t have...although I always propose to myself to make me time for them! What can I do, I �m not "superwoman"!
What �s even sadder than that is the fact that, as you �ve said, the parents don �t realise or simply choose to ignore our efforts(physical and emotional), even sacrifices..
As for the government...I prefer not to open the disscussion..I �ll be so violent and bitter!!!!

Regarding the theme that Cristina gave us to disscuss(sorry I slipped into another direction, but I �m so ....) - Here in Romania in state schools the classes are divided into 2 shifts:
at 8 o �clock in the morning schools open their gates for primary level(1st to 4th grade) till 12 or 1 pm, and then in the afternoon shifts (12 or 1pm till 5,6,or 7 pm) - for secondary level(5th to 8th grade).
In highschools the students usually have classes in the morning, the afternoon being reserved to proffesional schools(I do not know if there is an equivalent in your system for this level - it �s not a highschool, it �s a school where students get to be trained in one specific job).

Hugs from beatiful Romania,
Denisa

18 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2