Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do large number classes affect class effectiveness or no?    

Do large number classes affect class effectiveness or no?

Lucia13
Armenia

Do large number classes affect class effectiveness or no?

I �d like to know the opinion of the teachers worlwide about large number classes like 30 and more students.What do you think is the ideal number of students for effective classes?

19 Sep 2009      

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

There is no doubt it does, because if there are 10-15 pupils in a group, the teacher has an opportunity to work more effectively then, for example, with 30 and more pupils. In our school (and I work in a small Russian town) we also have such a problem - some of the classes are not divided into groups. I have been working for 9 years and I can compare groups of 12 and 24 pupils - there �s a great difference between them. So, I �m sure working with large groups is just a waste of time, and if you have a possibility to divide a class - DO IT! Wink

19 Sep 2009     

alyonushka145
Kazakhstan

I do not have great working experience, but as a "beginning" teaher I would say 18 - 20 (max 20) is ok for me - otherwise I am not able to rule the class...
And what is your own point of view?
Thumbs Up

19 Sep 2009     

alyonushka145
Kazakhstan

one more thign to say:

in my country classes are usually overloaded: there can be over25 and sometimes even 30 students in a class (in governmental schools).

Nowadays it changes slowly due to increasing amount of private schools, but anyway I think this situation is a great disadvantage of educational system of the whole country.

as I see, my colleague from Russia also has faced this kind of problem - maybe it is because of post-soviet echo that influenced our education...

19 Sep 2009     

Mouna mch
Algeria

hi..
 in my country classes are REALLY overloaded... i �m talking about 45 to 47 learners in one classroom.. does it effect learning process? sure..
first of all, i have to forget all about games or funny teaching methods.. can you iumagine what will happen if 45 learners are involved in one game...
add that i cannot remeber all my pupils.. shame on me i know that, but 45 mutipied by 7 (cuz i have 7 classes to teach) can uoy do better?!!

19 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I don �t teach very large classes, but sometimes i have to join two classes together (20x2) because i have to stand in for an absent colleague, and i find it hard only because they don �t get to have the classes together and they chit-chat with the friends from the other class.
As to the games, it worked a few times - but not with a class as a whole. They played one and the same game within groups of (5-7). It is possible. I just had more monitoring to do than usual. They were all engrossed in the game, so i didn �t have to worry about misbehaviour or sth like that. What i would suggest is having one good student per each group to help out the weaker students OR have good ones in one group (so they can play easily) and the weaker ones in another (where you �d help out more and where they would feel �at home � with each other).

19 Sep 2009     

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

Mouna mch, POOR THING!!!!

19 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

You can have a large number of students and have a great class. The opposite is also true. My worse class this year is not my bigger one. The problem is the chemistry among the students.
However, I think that the more students you have in one group, the less time you have to really evaluate them. When I �m evaluating my students in oral interaction, I like to sit beside them and observe but if I have a group of 30, it is more time consuming.

19 Sep 2009     

Lucia13
Armenia

Personally I am for a class not excedding the number 20, the ideal one would be 15.This year i changed the school and I �m going to teach in a more respectable and well-known school and to my surprise here I �m going to have 30 students in each class if not more.I �m still wondering how the other teachers manage to deal with such a large number of classes,maybe that �s the reason why most of the students have private tutors at home since the program is very difficult for them to catch up as well.I �m also of the opinion that here I should forgert about games and activities which my former students enjoyed so much plus evaluation is also going to give me a hard time.

22 Sep 2009