Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A rooster in my yard.    

A rooster in my yard.

eng789
Israel

A rooster in my yard.

Okay,  this is not a joke or riddle,  this is true.  At around 4 pm today I went out into my garden and incredible as it may sound saw a beautiful white rooster walking around.  It is now almost 7:30 pm and he has settled down on my porch in a flower pot near my front door.

I �m trying to figure out who to call since there are a lot of wild cats in my neighborhood and I am afraid he may become their late evening snack.

My question is  - does anyone know of any superstitions or can give meaning to a visit from a beautiful pure white rooster. 

Thanking you in advance.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Barbara 

19 Sep 2009      

mariannina
Italy

Since ancient times the rooster is a positive symbol:

The rooster is a universal solar symbol because its crowing announces the dawn.

When the bird is set on church spires, it assumes the role of protector and guardian of life. It is also an emblem of Christ, like the eagle and the lamb, symbol of Light and resurrection.
In the Book of Job, the rooster is the symbol of God-given intelligence while the ibis is the symbol of wisdom.
The Talmud makes the rooster a master of courtesy because it heralds his Lord the Sun with its crowing.
In Islam, the rooster enjoys a particular veneration. The Prophet himself asserts that the white rooster is his friend because it announces the presence of the Angel.
In dream analysis, both snake and rooster are interpreted as symbols of time.

Ciao

19 Sep 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Clap

Quas, quas, quas, ( this is me laughing )

The last time something similar happened to me, fortunately for me, it was not a rooster, but a delicious white cat.

guess who is right now, in the backyard screaming " MIAAAAAAUUUUUU "
Got it: It is my vagabond , tramp cat. I kept it, took to the vet, and there he is. When I forget the back door open I run the risk. Probably he eats my lunch or dinner, even before I get it cooked, but... alas... he is so sweet.
Now, talking about a rooster ( excuse, just a moment, I am laughing again ... quas, quas, quas ), let us say, you can obviously take it as a pet, ( and this will be very strange, you can �t go out walking your rooster, you can �t come by the window and call him, you can �t introduce him to your friends and say:
BTW, have you seen my pet ?
So, in my humble opinion, I would cut off this pet.
Now, what is left?
May be you are lucky and he goes away.
Or, may be not.
In that case, can I suggest some wonderful recipes of Portuguese cuisine?

Barbara, I love rooster, can I suggest that you might, probably, if �a ne vous derranges pas, could you invite me, for dinner, I promise I will be there on time.

EDIT: This is Portuguese sense of humor, even when other people don �t understand it, I am nor being rude.
BIG,BIG HUGS, good luck to your roosterThumbs Up

19 Sep 2009     

serennablack
Portugal

Why don �t you pretend it means GOOD LUCK. Positive thinking is always a good thing. I �m sure you will figure out something. Take care.

19 Sep 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

I love your explanations, Mariannina!
A white rooster sounds to me like a good sign... Pure, peaceful...
A few years ago, on a rainy Saturday afternoon, a lovely green budgie (parakeet) knocked on our window. He �s still with us.
But a rooster is more difficult to keep... It must be saved, Barbara!
Find a way and give us good news!  

19 Sep 2009     

jennybohmes
Argentina

I don�t believe in suprestitions. An animal escaped from somewhere it has nothing to do with bad luck or good luck.Except for his owner who lost it(bad luck) and the person who finds it(good luck)if you make something with it, maybe the hens will be happy with him..good luck for them.

19 Sep 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

need a recipe?
LOL

19 Sep 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Oh Barbara, I know it �s not a joke but I got such a laugh out of your post. OK you want symbolism- here it is. Mariannina is right. The rooster was the holy bird of the ancient Greek God Ares( Roman god MArs- god of war) . He heralded the beginning of each new day. His voice not only heralded the new day but had the power to chase away tyhe evils of the dark (night) . Asclepius one of most revered ancient doctors was given roosters as sacrifices. The rooster in my culture is still considered a sign of verility and fertility. A white rooster is good luck. So hold on to him.  NOw joking- if want some recipes, I �ve got a few good ones too.
Let us know what happens,
Maria

19 Sep 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Dear Barbara, Happy Rosh Hashanah! and I think that it �s a good sign! Especially during these special holiday days! So, relax and don �t worry about it, but do let us know what you have decided to do with it ( I hope you will not cook it, though ) Big smile Shalom!

19 Sep 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Funny story Barbara and I also think it is a good sign :D

Enjoy your holiday!

19 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

He is beautiful but very young,  not worth cooking.  I called the city about 3 1/2 hours ago to tell them and they sent a policeman over to see if I was telling the truth.  He called in that there was in fact a rooster on my porch and the someone should come over to pick him up. 
Nobody has shown up and the rooster is peacefully sleeping on a planter on my porch.  It is now after midnight and I �m about ready to go to bed but I know I won �t sleep well worrying about him. 
As far as giving meaning to this situation,  I enjoyed reading your posts.  Although I am quite fond of chicken,  I find it a bit odd talking about recipes,  and sorry I will not be cooking him. 

I just hope he makes it through the night safely. 

I �ll let you know what happens.

Goodnight to all  and happy holidays / weekend.

19 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >