Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How do you handle HALLOWEEN in your places?    

How do you handle HALLOWEEN in your places?

Samantha.esl
Italy

How do you handle HALLOWEEN in your places?

Hi,

I just thought I might ask you all how do you handle this popluar celebration in your schools, language centres etc...

Where I �m living now, we used to have a party every year with spooky cotumes and games... but for the past two
years we �ve had to cancel this celebration because several parents strongly dissagree with Halloween, first because of its real �meaning � which for many Christians, is satanist and not acceptable. Also, because many argue and have asked:
"why do we have to celebrate something which doesn �t belong to OUR culture but to the americans". (with my

respect to my american friends..)..

This is what many parents have said and they have even taken notes to the newspapers and have spoken on the

radios to avoid this celebration taking place amongst students.

Does this happen where you are? I �d like to know your experiences and knowledge on the matter.

x

19 Sep 2009      

ants
Switzerland

It �s true that many parents here in Switzerland are also against Halloween...and it isn �t originally American...it �s Irish.
Even when I explain this....they don �t want it and so this year I �ll just tone it down with cute spiders for the little ones.Hug
I �ll ask the parents first if this is acceptable.

I have to agree with parents that if it �s not part of their culture...why should they go around celebrating it in Switzerland!!
Anyway, it �s a very good discussion and let �s hear how other countries celebrate or don �t celebrate Halloween.Smile
Fiona.

19 Sep 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I have a question.  I know many places have costume parties or wear costumes as part of other celebrations that have nothing to do with Halloween.  Is it possible to have a costume party but not refer to Halloween?

I was just wondering.

We still celebrate Halloween here.  Although, children can now go "trick-o-treating" (when they get candy) in shopping centers from store to store as well as from house to house in the evening.  Many parents prefer to go the shopping malls because it is safer and warmer for the children.  It is usually quite cold on Halloween and it often rains on that day.

Pinky

19 Sep 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Halloween is a big event for children in Canada.  The children go and trick-o-treat door to door and in malls and obtain candy from neighbouring houses and malls.  When a person does not want to participate they merely turn off their lights and no one will ring their doorbell.  The younger children generally go out with their parents and some of the parents also dress up with their children. 
The stores really profit during this time because large sales in candies and costumes are made.
The adults also participate and have parties of their own in their homes and costume parties are held in bars and halls.
The only problem parents here discuss is the safety of the candy their children may receive.  Some parents are worried that bad candy will be given out.

19 Sep 2009     

mariannina
Italy

I �m fond of traditions from all over the world, I try to tell my young students about them as much as I can, but first of all I "support" Italian traditions. Not only for a religious tradition, I prefer the Italian Carnevale (Mardi Gras) to Halloween. I let the children at school prepare cut outs, drawings and we carve a pumpkin, too, because it is a tradition in many English speaking Countries, but that �s all. Frankly speaking I prepare some lessons on "Soul caking"  and the ancient tradition of Samhain. The children have fun and we have the opportunity to speak English while preparing this holiday.

19 Sep 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Here in Russia Halloween is celebrated every year at language centres ( sorry, have no idea about public schools, probably it �s not celebrated there at all). At language centers we organize halloween parties for kids, teens and adults and I havent heard that parents of our teenage or little sudents have complained, last year it even looked like they enjoyed it. Personally I present this celebration as a way to �feel � another culture and just to relax and have fun and learn halloween related vocabulary. Usually students welcome this idea. Apart from having parties at schools, people now celebrate Halloween at night clubs, restaurants, or even organize theme parties at home (halloween theme parties have become popular recently here and usually young people initiate them). So, looks like Halloween celebrations have been accepted by Russians and I see nothing bad in it, I only encourage this and think that it helps to broaden cultural horizons and break the ice between students( if celebrated at school). Anyway, if some people consider celebrating it inappropriate due to the religious reasons, it is also understandable.
PS. People dress up and wear cool costumes on this day if they are invited to a party but  the tradition of trick or treat hasnt been practised yet.

19 Sep 2009     

patrenou
Argentina

Hi, I teach Halloween vocabulary and use Halloween material as reading comprehension practice during October .I celebrate Halloween with two parties: one for the children aged 7 to 12 and other for the teenagers.On Halloween�s evening, we wear Halloween costumes,( even me as you can see in my profile picture) and we ask parents or relatives who live near the institute to receive us to do the �Trick or treat� We catch people�s attention when they see 20 children and 2 or 3 adults dressed up as witches, monsters, etc as it is not an usual thing to be seen in Argentina. When we return to the institute we play games related to Halloween and I gave them lots of candies! With the teenagers we play games, this year we are going to watch a horror movie, and they play tricks among themselves. I explain to Parents this is an excuse to learn new vocabulary and about other cultures traditions. I don�t talk much about the religious issue. In the past I had some problems with parents who were very religious and saw my party as a dangerous thing because in their own words " we were calling the devil" Their kids obviously don�t attend classes with me anymore but you can�t keep everyone happy, don�t you?

19 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

It �s nice to read your point of views, experiences and opinions. Thank you!
I can see this not only happens here then.
It �s probably  a delicate issue to discuss since it �s about religion, beliefs ...etc..

19 Sep 2009