Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Food for thought    

Food for thought

silviamontra
Spain

Food for thought

Hello everybody. I was just browsing some ws and I noticed something that worries me a little bit, and I just wanted to share my impression with you.
This is a site with lots of wonderful ws, one can see that the teachers behind these ws are real "artists". The prove can be seen when you have a look at the downloads: 80, 170, 200, or many more. Up to this point great. But I get a bit sad when I compare the figures: lots of downloads and very very few comments saying thanks or actually anything at all.
It takes some time to make a ws, and all the members here are generous enough to share their work. And we are happy about it, seeing how much we download. How come it is so difficult for us to thank other members for making our life easier, to say the least?
Don �t you think it would be nice to use 5 seconds of our lives to say thanks? I promise it doesn �t take much more. 
What do you think about it?

20 Sep 2009      

Mouna mch
Algeria

hi ..
i totally agree with you..  the word "thanks" is so simple and takes no more than 5 sec.
yet it has this magic power of spreading joy and happiness in the author �s heart.. it is the case 4 me at least..

thanks Silviamontra 4 bringing it up..

20 Sep 2009     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

I always or almost always praise a worksheet that I download.It �s a way of showing respect for the person �s work.
I also think it �s wonderful to receive such  a comment on our work!It certainly brights our day!Smile

20 Sep 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Good evening s�lvia! This is a recurrent issue and I �m glad there is always someone who brings it back to the forum because, although I �ve been part of this wonderful community for almost a year, I never got used to the fact that only 20 to 30 (if you �re lucky!) percent of the members leave a thank you note when they download someone �s work.

Much has been said about it - the reason(s) why, the values behind it, ... - but the sad thing about it is that nothing, or at least not much, has changed, which may mean that we, teachers, aren �t that open to listen to the Other and to question our own acts.

Many of us have already expressed their feelings about this here in the forum and it is a fact that we [those who said so openly] find it important that members say "thank you" for downloading other people �s worksheets because that shows some respect for their work. Furthermore, it may work as a stimulus for more and better work, especially for new members. So why not be a little bit less individualistic and try to act accordingly? How long does it take to write a thank you note and then copy and paste it (and personalise it a little bit if you want to)  everytime you download a worksheet? 5 seconds? 4? I believe we usually spend between 2 to 6 hours making a resource, so what are a few seconds compared to that?!

Besides, we spend the whole day saying "thank you" - be it at school, at the supermarket or the cornershop, so why not here, online, when what we take is definitely much more than the receipt we get at a shop... Because we are not face to face?

I can only speak for myself, but I know that many of you think the same - when we take something, we say "thank you", that is the least we can do. It �s as basic as that.

Wish you all a good night.
Hugs,
mena

20 Sep 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

I plead guilty. I hardly ever say thank you when downloading a worksheet. On the other hand, I don �t expect everyone who downloads mine to say it either.

As several members already proposed, a Thank You button may solve this problem. This would be much quicker than leaving a message.

By the way, simply leaving a message saying �thank you � and nothing else isn �t really imaginative. I prefer getting one �real � message saying more than just �Thank You � instead of three dozen of platitudes.

20 Sep 2009     

rebecax
United States

I too downloaded without leaving a comment. Then when I read the forum reactions to this behavior, it made me blush with a embarrassment Embarrassed. The fact I reacted in this embarrassed manner spoke volumes, which made me think about people, giving and receiving. 

I plead guilty. I know it �s easier to judge(negatively) what people say and how they say it on this forum. Well, personally I �m glad I felt a bit embarrassed by pretty much stating, " hey guys, show some love because it matters to us."

This is my 1st time posting messages on ANY forum, and it feels good to voice something. So, don �t judge me ...lol.

Mena, high five to you and all you do. I enjoy your work and your cute little stories on your ws.

Peace everyone, night night Hug

20 Sep 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I agree that receiving comments about our work is nice.  I have been making more OEs lately and, as they get few comments, I really miss them.

But leaving a comment works both ways. I always write them and they very often prevent me from downloading the same ws twice.  If it has a "thank you" note from me I know that I already have that ws.

20 Sep 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Judge you rebecax? Never! But I �m so glad to see that our comments on this topic got you thinking about it. That is already something! I hope the same happened to many, many other members too. Wink

As for the Thank you button PhilipR, I �m afraid many of us found it too impersonal. We really do not want to force people to leave a note, that is not the point, not at all,  we just would like them to think how important that comment is to many, many members and how nice it is to thank people for sharing with us their precious time and work. It has to come naturally, from the heart, otherwise what �s the purpose?!

Wish you all a wonderful Sunday.
And now I must get back to work.

Hugs,
mena

20 Sep 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

I agree with Anna P, besides being polite, it does help me to know whether I have already downloaded something. So it is a win-win situation.
Cheers Joy

20 Sep 2009