Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > I had a ws reported and removed but I cannot understand     

I had a ws reported and removed but I cannot understand

chiaras
Italy

I had a ws reported and removed but I cannot understand

Hi! Two days ago Victor sent a PM to me saying one of my contribution had been removed because it had been rearranged from a book. The ws was "New York, a city of immigrants". I sent Victor a PM asking for some more information about what we can rearrange and what we can �t, but as I haven �t received any answers from him yet, I �m asking you for help. It was true that my ws was not 100% original, it was taken from a book but I had rearranged it: I had made it more simple, added some extra information and my own pictures (one was even taken by me last summer in NY), as well as created my own questions at the end. Of course some questions may have been similar to some in the book because the content was not so different. I do not want my points back, I �m not angry at all, I just need to understand what it is allowed and what it is not. I mean, it was the first time I had uploaded a rearranged text and I thought it was allowed. Now I understand it isn �t, but I would be really grateful if somene could explain to me the difference between my ws and this one http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=285230#thetop. I mean, I liked this contribution, I dowloaded it and never thought of reporting it, even if it is almost identical to this Internet page http://www.mumbaikar.com/en/media/get/20090806_h1n1-poster-1.jpg, but why is mine wrong? Thank you to you all. I just want to avoid mistakes in the future, I love this site!

20 Sep 2009      

s.lefevre
Brazil

Dear friend,
Unfortunatly I don �t know what worksheet you are talking about, but if you say that it was rearranged and with your own exercices, in my opinion, you should upload it again and explain in the description that you rearranged it from a book and give the source. I agree with you that the moderatores are not always 100% fair because they are human.Some worksheets look really great and so they stay even if they shouldn �t considering the rules. But this happens only sometimes. Most of the time, moderatores eliminate stolen worksheets, and there are a lot every day.

20 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

I think s.lefevre  is right! You should follow her advice if you are sure the WS contains a good part of your own creation.

20 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi chiaris

You should also acknowledge your source.  If you have used a book simply reference it just like you would a university assignment so people know where you got your ideas from.  Where I work we always acknowledge our sources in our formal tests using the APA reference style.  Just write at the end of the WS (or in the footer if it is one page) : Adapted from .............. by ..............  Published by ............ --/--/--

That way, moderators can see that it was adapted from that source.  Ifyou think it is still going to be a problem then add which parts are yours.

Why don �t you try this and upload it again?

Cheers

Jayho 

21 Sep 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi chiaras!

The ws you pointed out was already reported but most moderators voted to keep it because the member used the poster and prepared an activity with it. She also provided the source.

If you use other person �s work, you have to add your tasks and it �s a good idea to provide references too.

21 Sep 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

I DIDN �T SEE your worksheet, so I would like to write just a few tips...
I would recommend you to state your sources of texts or big pictures, if you don �t remember, then write at least "adapted/copied from a book / internet"...
I think it �s ok, when more than 60% of the worksheet is your own creation.
We cannot call it original, if most of the wss is "copied", can we?
But many of the worksheets here consist of 80% or 100% original work...

So I would recommend to include several original exercises going with the copied text...
I think it �s rather nice to write more than 10 questions if compared to some comprehensive original works at ESP... Include all info, rules, suggestions within the file. Suggest follow ups, games, drills, quiz, fill-in, grammar questions - that goes with the text. Put all info in the file, please...
The more you share, the more points you receive. Wink
IF you share several pages (eg 5), state it in the name - eg: New York - 5 pages
IF your doc deleted, you can always re-upload your wss. Good luck! Heart

21 Sep 2009     

chiaras
Italy

Thank you for your advice. I think I will try again with the same text adding some more exercises, as suggested by moravc, and stating the source, as suggested by you all!
Now I think I have understood what is allowed and what isn �t while rearranging! Thanks again!

21 Sep 2009