Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Poems and songs    

Poems and songs

eng789
Israel

Poems and songs

I �m old.  When I was a pupil we were forced to memorize poems, songs and stanzas from plays like Hamlet,  The Highwayman etc. and it was considered a good way  to teach literature appreciation.  I �m sure no one got permission from the authors to copy their works.  Poems and songs can make learning English enjoyable.  So why does everything have to have a greater purpose?  Why can �t we upload some things?   There probably isn �t any copyright ruling on most of the old childrens songs,  so why not give teachers here a chance to familiarize themselves with stuff they may never have heard of.  Let the teacher decide if she wants to add a reason for learning activity or not.  I  prefer it to be "lets learn it for the sake of having some fun".
Just my opinion.

And for those who are interested,  Rocky the rooster wasn �t here when I got home from work.  Thank god there wasn �t a pile of feathers and bones in the yard,  I assume someone claimed him.  I was starting to get attached.

21 Sep 2009      

Anna P
Brazil

We can easily find lyrics in many places.  I think that a valid contribution should include activities or exercises. We can "learn for the sake of having fun" but copying and pasting a song - without any further contribution - would be a very easy way to gather points.

21 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

I see what you are saying but not everyone - especially those whose exposure to English isn �t great,  might not be aware of the songs and poems and therefore they won �t know what to look for.

21 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

I personally don �t see it as a problem and I do agree with Eng789. The nursery rhymes or poems that I learnt as a child are not necessarily found easily on the net... if they are found at all. And they are a good and often fun way to learn things...

21 Sep 2009     

wolfy
Chile

Many of these nursery rhymes are available from google books as the copyright has run out.

Here �s a search link:

Just a note or warning for you though. Most of these stories are aimed at children.  
You will find that the English used is informal. Latin speakers will find them very difficult.
English has two main roots; Old English and French. Informal English is based on Old English,
so expect many phrasal verbs and vocabulary issues.

Back to the point. I think that allowing these without activities is too complex, as it sets a precedent
for other material, and I think it only vaild for one user; 
How many versions of Hickory dickory dock do we really need?
Put some pictures on it and a matching exercise for the difficult vocab and OK.

21 Sep 2009