Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is e-mail etiquette different in your country?    

Is e-mail etiquette different in your country?

Portugal

I woull say putting yourself in the other �s shoes, Tere-arg, which sometimes is not too easy and means a great deal of personal effort...Smile Still, can you  further explain  in what way you disagree? I didn �t get it clearly.

24 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Ahh, Ishu... and I had my rule out to smack a few fingers today... lol LOL

24 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

Interesting responses everyone, thanks, but  I don �t fully agree with them.  I teach English for a German corporation  that does a VERY large amount of international business.  A large part of the communications are in English.  It is very important that they understand the "netiquette" of the country they are e-mailing--otherwise a customer could become insulted unintentionally  and we could loose millions of Euros in sales.

I looked at about 10 different "netiquette" guides in English (mostly US)and every one of them spoke about not writing in capital letters.  I perused four or five German "netiquette" guides and only one mentioned he use of capital letters.  This would indicate that the use of capitals is not considered as offensive by a German as it would by an American.

Many people say it �s only yelling if you write it ALL in capital letters, that �s not true.  An entire sentence written in caps is usually taken as shouting (or raising your voice).  Which to me is logical, when talking we raise the volume or change the tone of our voice when we want to emphasize something as well.

My opnion is that "netiquette" is NOT as much the same as many of us think it is (for that matter English is similar in this way.

Douglas

PS-My recommendation is to read your e-mail out loud and whereever you have fully-capitalized words say or shout those words out louder than the rest.  If it doesn�t feel like you are "yelling" to be offensive, the chances are you will be OK--if you aren�t sure, consider dropping the caps.

24 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Again...it is like good manners: not everybody knows them and  of those who do, many prefer to ignore them.

A question of education and choice.

24 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

nikadixon

Did I...Shocked ?

I just added ...Confused

Smile

24 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

What about using red or other colors?  It is also bad?

I get very frustrated by the fact that I can �t change the fonts other than "bold" them when I want to emphasize something.

And personally I �m not crazy about the smilies that we have other than the hugs one.

For some reason I also find "LOL"  offensive because I remember as a kid (in Canada) it was used to make fun of someone who was trying to be funny but in a fact wasn �t.    We �d say,  "Ha, ha, ha, I �m laughing out loud."   (of course I am going back a long time.)

24 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2