Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > help with the prepositions in front of and opposite    

help with the prepositions in front of and opposite

Missfrancisca
Spain

help with the prepositions in front of and opposite

Dear teachers could you tell me what is the difference between opposite and in front of. I told the students that it is related to distance, we use opposite when the objects are far  and facing, and in front of when they are sort of near it doesn �t matter if facing or not. is it correcct???

25 Sep 2009      

pauguzman
Argentina

they are different. I always explain that difference in this way: " a teacher is opposite to the class, she/he is looking at her/his sts, however, in a classroom with rows,  a classmate is sitting in front of you"

25 Sep 2009     

monicap_87
El Salvador

This might help: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=134701

25 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

It �s easy. Opposite always implies that there is distance between the objects. In front of doesn �t.

i.e.

The school is opposite the park - would mean that the school is in front of the park and there is a road or some space separating it.

The bus stop is in front of the bank. - could mean it �s near the building or across the street.

25 Sep 2009     

wolfy
Chile

opposite: two things are facing each other
In front of: One thing is positioned in front of the other (facing you or not)

For example on a road.

Cars come in the opposite direction (on the other side of the road)
Cars in front of me (cars positioned in front of me but on the same side, probably going in the same direction).

25 Sep 2009     

Eyra
Spain

Opposite: enfrente de
in front of: delante de

25 Sep 2009     

mjpa
Spain

Opposite: enfrente cara a cara
In front of: it can refer to "en frente" pero no cara a cara por ejemplo, no exactamente delante, sino por ej, en dos esquinas opuestas.

25 Sep 2009     

Missfrancisca
Spain

but you can say " the child is in front of the computer" and he is facing it. so  "in front of " is also facing. what do you think? I like the one about road and distante, thank you for answering.

25 Sep 2009