Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Hair colours...orange or red??    

Hair colours...orange or red??

cheezels
New Zealand

Taken from wiki:

In modern-day UK, the words "ginger" or "ginga" are sometimes derogatorily used to describe red-headed people, with terms such as "gingerphobia" (fear of redheads or "gingerism" (prejudice against redheads)  used by the media. Some have speculated that the dislike of red-hair may derive from the historical English sentiment that people of Irish or Celtic background, with a greater prevalence of red hair, were ethnically inferior.  Redheads are also sometimes referred to disparagingly as "carrot tops" and "carrot heads". "Gingerism" has been compared to racism, although this is widely disputed, and bodies such as the UK Commission for Racial Equality do not monitor cases of discrimination and hate crimes against redheads. A UK woman recently won an award from a tribunal after being sexually harassed and receiving abuse because of her red hair; a family in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, was forced to move twice after being targeted for abuse and hate crime on account of their red hair; and in 2003, a 20 year old was stabbed in the back for "being ginger."In May 2009, a British schoolboy committed suicide after being bullied for having red hair.

This prejudice has been satirised on a number of TV shows. The British comedian Catherine Tate (herself a redhead) appeared as a red haired character in a running sketch of her series The Catherine Tate Show. The sketch saw fictional character Sandra Kemp, who was forced to seek solace in a refuge for ginger people because they had been ostracised from society. The British comedy Bo � Selecta! (starring redhead, Leigh Francis) featured a spoof documentary which involved a caricature of red-haired "Simply Red" singer Mick Hucknall presenting a show in which celebrities (played by themselves) dyed their hair red for a day and went about daily life being insulted by people. In real life, Hucknall has commented that derogatory references to his red hair are a form of bigotry.

The pejorative use of the word "ginger", and related discrimination, was used to illustrate a point about racism and prejudice in the "Ginger Kids", "Le Petit Tourette" and "Fatbeard" episodes of South Park.

Films and television programmes often portray school bullies as having red hair; for example, Scut Farkus from A Christmas Story or the O �Doyle family in the movie Billy Madison. Also, the bully character "Caruso" in "Everybody Hates Chris" is a redhead. However, children with red hair are often themselves targeted by bullies; "Somebody with ginger hair will stand out from the crowd," says anti-bullying expert Louise Burfitt-Dons.

Personally I LOVE red hair and in my youth spent a lot of money on trying to be a redhead!!!

27 Sep 2009     

mmanu
France

I �d say red hair or ginger hair
Wink

27 Sep 2009     

maker1
Turkey

I have just checked my oxford dictionary (quite a new edition) in which ginger hair is referred to and as you have not found a word  for the boys apart from red hair (by the way I love the strawberry blonde for ladies) which is totally different and unnatural colour as opposed to light brownish orange colour for which we are trying to find the word for; I am totally confused probably just as the person who posted the question in the first place in deciding what is the most appropriate word for describing the hair colour in question?

27 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Maker1, the dictionaries don �t and often can �t give you the impression the word gives in the real world. In some cases, they �ll tell you that the word is vulgar, but seldom if it just has negative connotations. To give you an idea of attitudes, Urbandictionary.com gives the meanings of words as understood by the people.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ginger
I strongly suggest you don �t read the whole page, as it doesn �t get any better, but the first couple of entries are what I �m talking about.

Sadly, society has a tendency to make even the good look bad when it comes to language.

27 Sep 2009     

maker1
Turkey

@tint, I totally agree with what you say about the real world but to me word � �ginger � � has only one connotation; a person just like any other having own unique features and we should try to teach our students to treat no differently.

27 Sep 2009     

Mishuna
Argentina

So....interesting discussion but what shall I teach? I mean, they are 9 year-old students in their  first level...I have to teach them how to describe hair colours:

black hair
fair/blonde hair
brown hair
red hair??

Another question: Can I say "his hair is fair"? I don´t want to use "have got". Native British teachers over there...help!!

27 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi Mishuma,
As one of my daughters is �ginger �, I am fully acquainted with the range of names she has been called.  I absolutely agree with Tint and Cheezels that �ginger � is only used in a derogatory fashion.  Strawberry blonde is the well known  - and politically correct - term for a female with this colour hair.  �Redhead � is also frequently used of both males and females.  Males and females can both be called fair, blonde or auburn, �though the latter is, as Tint says, a much darker colour.

27 Sep 2009     

Mishuna
Argentina

Thank you so much for your replies!!

27 Sep 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Just to confuse things a little further... in Australia you used to hear of redheads being called �Blue �(red heads were considered fiery/peppery/argumentative/temperamental/spicey (all related to the plant) & would often get in �blues�...otherwise called arguments or fights!), & , when I was at school, also �carrot top �.

Ginger Meggs was a reasonably well known comic strip about a mischievous red headed boy in Australia ... http://www.gingermeggs.com/

�ginger � has some negative connotations derived from the spice & it �s inflammatory aspects (hence the colour connection to red). For example, it used to mean a �showy � or fast horsed that had been primed by rubbing or inserting said spice up the horse �s arse. (attested to as early as 1785)

�ginger � is also associated with rhyming slang... �ginger beer �... �queer �... or gay/homosexual

�ginger � is also  used to mean tender, soft or careful in realtion to dangerous or painful situations e.g. �he poked gingerly around the hole in his tooth using the tip of his tongue �

I have also heard strawberry blonde used in reference to boys or young adult males but rarely fully mature blokes.

I �d go for calling them a redhead (which is a famous brand of red headed matchsticks in Australia as well as a very popular beach!). Unfortunately almost anything that stands out from others is going to have a label attached to it, thereby making it potentially negative in use....

p.s. be vary wary about using the �Urban Dictionary � as a reference.... it �s entries do not have to be surported by any research or statistics to show how widespread the terms are.... so many of the terms will be in very limited use & are often inserted just for humour! As an example, see their entry for �Bryce � if u don �t believe me...

28 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2