Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Halloween ideas!    

Halloween ideas!

mandm
Spain

Halloween ideas!

Hi teachers!
October is coming and I know most of you will be thinking about how to celebrate Halloween in your classrooms.
There are a lot of fantastic worksheets here but apart from them, how do you celebrate it at school?
I �ve been thinking about the idea of doing a pumpkin carving or decorating competition but I don �t know if this would be a difficult task for families. Have you ever organised a jack o lantern exhibition? How did you manage?
All ideas and suggestions are accepted!!!LOL
Hugs

28 Sep 2009      

arlissa
United States

Hello,
Yes, I �ve had a Jack-o-Lantern carving session in my class before. It �s quite messy! You �ll need lots of newspaper to lay down to try to minimize the mess. It �s very fun though, and for some people it �s their first and only time to try this interesting activity.

However, due to the past religious nature of Halloween you may want to consider sending a letter home to students parents beforehand to be sure it �s ok with them. (If you �re students are adults, then of course you can just ask them their opinion on doing the activity).

Sometimes if you explain to the pumpkin seller that you �re a teacher and what you �re doing, they �ll give you a discount. Can �t hurt to ask! Then it can keep costs down for either you or the parents.

28 Sep 2009     

pjsenior
China

mandm

fantastic, you �re going to celebrate Halloween at school! Wow, your kids are going to love it!

Now, how much room do you have at school? Do you have a playground outside? Or a big room inside?

So, you want to hold a party at school. Then you should include these activities:

- Apple bobbing (where you have a massive bucket filled with water and apples; students then have to put their hands behind their backs and try to get an apple out of the water using their mouths - messy, but great fun!)
- Face painting (paint kids faces as witches, vampires, werewolves, etc etc - you get the idea)
- The stocks (make some simple stocks - do a google image search to see what they are - and then put teachers in them; then give students wet sponges to throw at the teacher)
- Ghost stories
- Zombie tag (you �re a zombie and you act and move like one; you chase the students and when you touch any of them, they turn into zombies too and have to help you chase the other students)
- Pumpkin carving (as you �ve already mentioned, you can do this, but remember if the kids age is low then you �ll need to supervise the cutting)

These are just a few activities. There might not be much emphasis on English speaking, but it �s a party, and then emphasis is on fun. You can do some worksheet activities at the party too, to get students practising a little English.

Plus, make up a little goody bag for students to take home with them, including some halloween candy, stickers etc

Good luck!

Phil

29 Sep 2009     

mandm
Spain

Thanks arlissa and pjsenior for your replies!!! SmileWink
I �ll consider your ideas for the Halloween party. They seem great!
Regarding the pumpkin carving, I �m not sure about what to do... I �m a little bit afraid LOL
As the great majority of students are English and they already know this tradition, I would rather prefer to ask families to collaborate with children and bring the pupmkins ready for an exhibition.
Any other ideas are accepted!Thumbs Up

29 Sep 2009