Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > GUY FAWKES ~ 5th of November    

GUY FAWKES ~ 5th of November

Vickiii
New Zealand

GUY FAWKES ~ 5th of November

Hi Teachers,
Everyone knows about the USA�s Halloween.  but what about Guy Fawkes Night!  It is the best holiday of them all because you get to let off fireworks!!!!  This is a fascinating story of foiled plots, blowing stuff up, gruesome deaths, and a real insight into Englands history.

Please to Remember the 5th of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot...

Some websites for you:

3 Nov 2008      

frenchfrog
France

And also your printable (which I have already downloaded!Wink): http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=125976#thetop

3 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Embarrassed thanks frenchfrog.  Hey - You were my first Thank you on that sheet!  Yippeee!

3 Nov 2008     

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

I trust you�ve seen this movie, right!!!??? A great piece to work with this topic, don�t you think?

i�ll download your ws as soon as possible!!!

Love ;)

Aldana

3 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Actually i haven�t seen this movie...  Thank you for letting me know about it.  I will look out for it.  The poem I have used is the New Zealand adaptation of this poem above.  We are so polite - Please to remember....

I have now updated the worksheet.  Zora pointed out to me that Canada does not celebrate this day - There are only a few small pockets in Canada that do (according to Wikipedia).  Also I have removed Australia as they no longer celebrae on the 5th of November due to the fire risk with Fireworks.  Please do remember that Australia is in the southern hemisphere so they are going into summer in november - and they are one giant desert with great beaches.

new Zealand is not in danger of losing the celebration but they are moving towards centralised celebrations as the current government are a bit of safety freaks and don�t like people letting off their own fireworks.  Hopefully this tradition will last for years to come - it is so much fun letting off your own fireworks!

hugs
Vickiii

3 Nov 2008     

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

�You are so right Vickii, though i�ve always been a bit scared of fireworks....I think they are best handled by professionals.�Thumbs Up

In Argentina, we are used to celebrating with fireworks for Christmas and New Year�s Eve!!!! AND I LOVE WATCHING THE SKY WHEN THE CLOCK HITS MIDNIGHT!!!! It�s beautiful...�Clap

AND WE ARE SO CLOSE TO THESE CELEBRATIONS!!!! I cannot believe how fast the year has gone by!!!!!!!! Is it me? Or the earth is moving faster??!?!? I sometimes find myself wanting the day to have 25 hours instead of 24!!!!!�ConfusedUnhappyConfused

Well, I guess I work too much...THAT�t it!!!!�LOL

BTW, I love Kiwis �;)�HeartHug

3 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Yes, unfortunately, I�m afraid us Canucks are basically clueless about Guy Fawkes... I had never even heard of the celebration or it�s history until I started teaching in Europe. It�s a shame though, I do like any reason to celebrate!! 

4 Nov 2008