Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching in Crowded Classes    

Teaching in Crowded Classes

abdo111b
Morocco

Teaching in Crowded Classes

Hello there,
 I�m a Moroccan English teacher  who teaches crowded classrooms in  a secondary school. There are more than 45 students in each one. So, is it the same in your countries? If yes, what are the appropriate activities to tackle with  students to make them participate and not get bored? By the way,the course session is 2 hours.
Thanks in advance for sharing with me your teaching activities and suggestions.

3 Nov 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Abdo,

I know that research suggests cooperative learning strategies work best for classrooms between 20 - 30 students.  But I believe they also work for larger classrooms.  Cooperative learning strategies help to build a positive and supportive classroom atmosphere.  Here are some websites with strategies for you:

Please note - for these to be successful it takes a lot of commitment by the teacher to prepare the materials and be enthusiastic!

Background information on Cooperative learning strategies - http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~andyd/mindset/design/clc_rsch.html

I know I always push this teaching pedagogy - it is because i really beleive in it, I have seen students come alive with these strategies.  Classrooms can be turned from negative, boring, yawning places to dynamic, enthusiastic and exciting learning centres.

3 Nov 2008     

1hpf
Israel

Thanks Vicki, all those sites helped me, too! I have a class with so many levels it is realy frustrating. I�m sure lots of ESL teachers have the same problem. 

3 Nov 2008     

abdo111b
Morocco

Hi Vickiii,
Thanks for the sites. Iwill check their content.

3 Nov 2008