Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just a question    

Just a question

lexxa
Russian Federation

Just a question

Hello, everybody!
Recently, I�ve watched the film called �Keith� (very good film by the way Wink) and there was a school policy that for a certain misdemeanour a girl got a week detention from school! And I�m wondering what is so frightening about it? Do children have to do some extra work or whatever? Because here in Russia they will regard it as a reward. I guess they will do whatever they can to get that punishment Evil Smile

3 Nov 2008      

cgato
Portugal

Hi!

Your comment is really interesting!! It depends on social and cultural backgrounds!
I watch many American movies and it seems that to be suspended is something really serious for them!
Here in Portugal being suspended had some serious consequences some time ago: you could have to repeat the year because of the classes you missed! If a student is over 15 he can fail the year if he misses too many classes (and when he is suspended he/she cannot justify why he missed school- so it�s a punishment)
Nowadays, since our minister of education is a real misery, suspension doesn�t have that effect... unless the parents are strict and the student knows he/she will get in real trouble.
Here in portugal (and at my school) we call parents to school and sometimes give students extra work, such as helping to take care of the gardens, canteen...
But in USA (at least from what I see in  the films) students can be expelled from school

Bye
Greetings from Portugal

3 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I can only speak for new Zealand where suspension is very effective for many students:

1) It is socially embarrasing for parents to have a child suspended from school
2) It is very annoying as most adults work (mum and dad) so either they must take time off work or pay for daycare for youngsters.

3) It is socially embarrasing for the child or teenager.  Their peers view it as a rather stupid thing to do.
4) They miss classes
5) They don�t get to go to school and learn or spend time with their friends.  (Believe it or not a lot of children love school).  this was the biggest consequence for the children I worked with in a school with very poor students.  They did not want to be at home.  School was where they felt safe and comfortable.

I hope this helps.
A note - even naughty students tend to be embarrased if they get suspended -very few social groups consider this �Cool�.

3 Nov 2008     

lexxa
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot for the explanations! Now I have some definite things to say if I am asked :)

4 Nov 2008