Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Large and Big??    

Large and Big??

stuartallen77
China

Large and Big??

Hi from a very grey China!

One time, a student of mine had me stumped when he asked me what the difference between large and big were. I told him that I wasn �t really sure, but that I would find out and give him an answer. I checked many different sources and asked all my colleagues, but we couldn �t collectively find a definitive (and importantly, an easy to explain) answer. 

So...I �ll turn this one over to you! What IS the difference between large and big?

That will get the brain cells working overtime!! Tongue

Stuart xx

7 Oct 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

For me they are a synonym meaning the same thing....

7 Oct 2009     

Nana Lins
Brazil

Dear stuartallen,

I may not be able to answer your quesion, but you may find some explanation at the following forums.

I hope you �ll get the answer you are looking for.

Good Luck.

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

I �d have to agree with cheezels, to me they are synonyms with no real difference.

7 Oct 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

They are synonyms but have different origins.  According to yourdictionary.com, large comes from the old French whereas big comes from Germanic roots.  This is often the case in English, numerous words for the same meaning.  

7 Oct 2009     

Allisa
Bulgaria

Here is what Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English says:

Big and large have the same meaning, but large is slightly more formal and more likely to be used in written than spoken English.
a big lunch

a large house
Large is used with quantity words such as �number � and �amount �.
large amounts of money
a large proportion of the students

By the way, I have always thought that "large" is a synonym for "huge", not for "big" Embarrassed. It is never late to learn a new thing.

7 Oct 2009