Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Banned Books    

Banned Books

szamoca
Hungary

Now this is a shame!!!! I �m just teaching Huck Finn for 9th grade language preparatory Ss. They �ve never read a book in English and they have read only the compulsory literature in their mother tongue. I use readers and I teach them not only how to read but how to think about books. Huck Finn is a very good one. This year we are doing two more books.By the end of the year Ss usually get used to read all sorts of English texts. Some of them try even longer literary works. I used to learn myself in school through literature, literary extracts from many of the books listed above.It �s not the book �s fault that the world is goig in a wrong direction.It �s rather a matter of interpretation. So the people who put together the list cannot understand the message. Let them make lists. Take extracts into your classes and call it reading comprehension.
Hugs
szamoca

7 Oct 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I think we have got off the subject here.  Basically, the book that we are talking about is full of sex, (perverted), rape, bestiality and bad language.  What educational value can you find in that.  I prefer my children to think of sex in beautiful terms.  Of sex in love, marriage, etc.  Sex is important and loving.  Books like that just cheapen it.

Judy

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

No, we are not. Again, I ask... have you read the book? PhilipR has and I quote his words:

After having read the first 45 pages of the book, I now know for a fact that the allegations are absolutely ridiculous and yet another attempt from the religious right to censure everything they don �t like.

Kids through a lot more in real life, and this book just seem to relate in a humorous way how difficult life of a youngster can be. I bet this is exactly the kind of books that makes people want to read. IMHO, it �s just a more mature and risque version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Life is not a bed of roses, and BTW, the world was not created 10,000 years ago.

I agree with Douglas and Donapeter 100%.

Censorship is censorship and that is medieval to say the least!

7 Oct 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

@ Donapeter.  Stupid thing to say.  We live in Israel.  We see our people blown up,  we see our soldiers taken hostage,  we see people at their worst. 

@ Zora.  No I have not read the whole book.  It is trash, but I have read parts and I do not want my children thinking that the whole world is like that.

BTW.  I have no problem if an adult chooses to read the book.  It is his/her right.  I have a problem with someone giving a school child a book that is offensive to me, without asking my permission.  My children are in my hands to protect, nurture and educate.  It is up to ME how I educate them, not some misguided teacher.

Judy

7 Oct 2009     

LeaS
Slovenia

Judy please do not take this on a personal level. Just because we don �t agree with you doesn �t mean we �re misguided.
This wonderful world also offers the option of home-schooling for the parents that wish to have a greater role in educating their successors.

I was under the impression that this was an intellectual debate.

7 Oct 2009     

Portugal

OK, you made me come back again...

Are we talking here about s&x, withcr@ft, bad language, bad manners, villains, traitors, crazy guys, kids who kill their parents, wives who kill their husbands, corruptors, corrupted, rapists, crooks, hate-filled moneylenders, evil-hearted, liars,  malicious, murderers, loan sharks, pimps, gluttons and stuff of the kind? OK, let �s ban this one from ALL the libraries in the world:

First, let me find a bunker to hide my copies...
and I thought we were over calling each other names, boy, that�s BAD argumentation and lack of critical thinking, don�t you think so? Besides, let�s face this: what we see can be somehow different from what other people see, can�t it?

Edit: pic of Shakespeare being censored will be erased when the thread leaves the main page.

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Some teachers were called "misguided" for wanting their students to read "To kill a mockingbird" or "Huck Finn". But both books were a pretty faithful portrayal of life. So is, I suspect this book.

Parents are sometimes soooo worried about what their kids read but have little idea what their kids are doing or what they are thinking or feeling. It �s usually an easy "out" - act all self-righteous and look good to the rest of the world.

The book in question was NOT the topic of this discussion - banned book were. But first of all, no book is ever "trash" - that is disrespectful. You may or may not like a book but calling it garbage is not nice... that is your opinion but perhaps not your childs �... And perhaps you have read three pages in all and made that assumption? The book is about real life - whether people want to acknowledge that or not - and kids will relate to it. That is not bad.

I have students that are 13 and 14!! and they are going out to the bars on weekends til 3 or 4am! I imagine they are drinking, taking drugs and having sex too - that is real life... I am not going to look away from it and say "No, don �t read that book. It �s what your friends are doing and I don �t want you doing it!" -  I try to be tolerant about this, I know that this is not the world I grew up in and when you think about it - Do you blame kids? Parents ignore them, yell at them for what they wear, how they act but give them a 50 to go out with their friends or buy themselves whatever instead of talking to them or treating them like individuals. Nowadays, their childhoods are gone as fast as they come... so why not allow them to read a book that might show them that they aren �t the only "weird person" around?? 

7 Oct 2009     

Portugal

OK, do we need a break in full moon? Dona, are you there?

P.S.: Shall I burn the Bible I have on my bedside table, too?!?Geek The Old Testament is pretty hard to handle...

DonaaaaaAAAAAA! Are you there? (hyperspace Hug)

7 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

One last interesting little article comparing Enid Blyton (her books were often on banned lists or threatened with the possibility). It �s an interesting perspective on childrens � literature, socio political bandwagon & story telling traditions.

http://www.kateforsyth.com.au/articles/enid-blyton.htm

Cheers,
AB

8 Oct 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Probably won �t get read since it is old so maybe should email a couple people on their comments...  On the other American that says the Federal government can �t tell states what to do is correct in a legal sense.  But they can deny Federal funding if their ideas are not added.  Why when I created a lesson for a class had to create 3 and at times 4 different lessons for the same class.  My lessons went to file for the school board, one went to the state, one went to the Federal government and the last went into file for the National Teaching Board in case any of the four came to ask to see my lesson plans.  Each lesson had to meet each group on rules and regulations.  The last is being added state to state because they want all teachers in the future to have the National Teaching Board license and not just the state license.

On Spragman comment.  If you want can recommend reading a few history books.  One written by one of my favorite professors on the witch trials both in Europe and Americas.  His writings are quoted in both history books and law books.  It is interesting there were more killed for witchcraft in the Salem Witch trials than all of Europe.  Some of the books on it were very interesting and liked that my professor even brought in artifacts for us advance students to be able to see what different court records from different time periods look like.

As for others on the ban list...  The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew Series, some of the Sir Lock Holmes series, .....  But you can read about a superhero wearing diapers, kids that speak in gibberish,...  so it is interesting to see when the book store came to school what books were allowed and which were not allowed.

8 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >