Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > If you were he...    

If you were he...

sonicliz
United States

If you were he...

I heard this sentence on NPR last night, "If you were he...." and it struck me as being odd. Of course, I understand about the subjunctive with using "were," and as a native English speaker that �s not unusual to me at all. My question is with the use of the word "he" vs. "him." NPR is known for the use of impeccable grammar, and the reporter actually emphasized the word "he," which shows me that it was definitely intentional and NOT a mistake.

So my question is why "he" and not "him?" Or are they both correct?

Thanks!

8 Oct 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Good question! Must say made me think! If you look at the �he � there, it �s actually the nominative case in use, so it should be �he �, not �him �, though I too have heard and read both used so often that I couldn �t say for sure which one is �the law �. If you try it with other pronouns, it �s the same - �if I were them/they �, �if I were her/she �... It �s not any other case but the nominative. It �s not like with �Look at him! �, where you know it �s the accusative. So logically, in your example, �he � is actually correct. Isn �t it? I guess using �him � is just something we people do to have a visual distinction from the initial subject. I �m not sure I �d correct my sts if they used any of it.
Anita

8 Oct 2009     

sonicliz
United States

I definitely wouldn �t correct any of my students for using anyone. The issue of case is a good one, and probably brings up an area I need to review a little bit more.

Thanks for answering!

8 Oct 2009     

sonicliz
United States

I asked another teacher and it �s the verb "be" that �s deciding the case. After BE verbs you must use the nominative case, etc, "It was she" vs. "It was her"

And if you knock on the door and someone asks, "who is it," your response should be, "It �s I," not "It �s me," which does sound a little silly if you ask me!

8 Oct 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Good approach, but yes, I agree, sounds silly. That �s why there are rules and exceptions and traditional and living language...

8 Oct 2009