Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is there a coma?    

Is there a coma?

szamoca
Hungary

Is there a coma?

Good morning!
Please tell me where should I put a coma in this sentence, before who?

The book which is a bestseller is written by Nathan Davis who has written ten novels.
Thank you!

9 Oct 2009      

supereme
France

Good morning !!

you should put the coma here: by Nathan Davis, who...

Cheers

9 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I �d be inclined to put commas in the following positions:

The book, which is a best seller, is written by Nathan Davis, who has written ten novels.

There are two relative clauses - one about the book & one about the author.

Regards,
AB

9 Oct 2009     

mokus19
Hungary

I think AB is right! I should use the commas in the same places...

9 Oct 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

I think I �d write it this way:

The book which is a bestseller is written by Nathan Davis, who has written ten novels.

I wouldn �t put the first relative clause in commas as it is defining and necessary to understand which book you are talking about. The second one is a non-defining clause, thus can be put in commas, as it only gives some extra information about the author.

Hope this helps and you can also look up defining - non-defining relative clauses.

9 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

vickyvar has made a good point!

However it really does depend on the context within which tha statment is made as to whether it is a defining or non-defining clause.

The first relative clause would be defining if we knew there was more than  one book as an option.

i.e. The book which is a bestseller (as distinct from any other books that are not bestsellers) is written by Nathan Davis, who has written ten novels.

This does seem, however, very unnatural to me as a native speaker! I �d expect to hear or read it:

The book is a best seller written by Nathan Davis, who has written ten novels.
 or
This book is a best seller written by Nathan Davis, ....

edit: However, when the commas are inserted as per my original post, it then becomes a natural native English expression.

The construction �The book which is a bestseller � sounds/reads like someone who is not a native speaker. After I take care of some other pressing issues I �ll try & find a reference from Swann to add to the discussion.

Cheers,
AB

9 Oct 2009     

szamoca
Hungary

Thanks for your quick answers.

9 Oct 2009     

mjotab
Spain

I agree with alien boy, I think "which is a bestseller" is non-defining too. I am not a native, but it would be the same in Spanish.

9 Oct 2009     

ozquivir
Spain

Both are acceptable and totally correct

9 Oct 2009     

aaelaim
Egypt

The best answer is answered by Alien Boy

9 Oct 2009