Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > songs to teach in my classes    

songs to teach in my classes

mr.dgdln
Turkey

I have been thinking of including some songs to my lessons for a long time. I finally decided to do it Smile But now I �m confused about the choice of the rigt songs. I have 4 classes now. 3 of them are elementary and one of them is pre-intermediate.
I have examined old forum posts on the site. But I haven �t come across with what I �m looking for.
could you possibly helo me with your precious suggestions? what songs have you used so far?

16 Oct 2009      

toandfro_
Poland

I �ve just added the worksheet on Lemon Tree song. It is perfect for pre-intermediate. My kids were excited. We were singing all together.

Find something catchy and well know, they will find it more attractive.

hugs.

16 Oct 2009     

Amandina
Switzerland

My elementary students loved "I used called to say I love you" by Stevie Wonder. Unfortunately I don �t have a worksheet to go with it since it was in New Headway Elementary.

16 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

I think the all time favourite of my elementary teenagers is The Fast Food Song.  They love fast food and it is a great activity to supplement themes on health/nutrition and advertising. 

Cheers - Jayho

16 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Hello!
I suggest you ask them about their fave songs and have them writing them and bringing them, either printed or handwritten ( both ways better) , to classes with pics (either taken from magazines or net), hang them around, if you have a proper place to.

Can any of the ss play an instrument (sure there must be some)? Even better, rehearse and let them sing to their families in school-family meetings, such as end of term. Helps realease the tension when some less good news, such as needing  improving marks/behaviour/study skills, and stuff  have to be addressed.

edit:  You can also choose some special songs for special events, such as Imagine (Beatles) and many others, for peace, Earth day, all kind of issues, there will be a song to go with it.
You�ll rock!

Have a good day.
Idalina Jorge

16 Oct 2009     

mr.dgdln
Turkey

Thanks friends for the lights you put upon me.
Look what I �ve found:

you can download some amusing songs in the link for free. However songs are not appropriate for my students � age.

16 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi,

PM me with your email address & in 2 days time I �ll send you a list of the songs I �ve been teaching in elementary school this year. I teach music (in English) as my main subject in an immersion school & may be able to give you some good ideas.

Sorry - no time to add anything more to this discussion before then.

Regards,
AB

16 Oct 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Have you heard about

16 Oct 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

I did Superman by Black Lace with my kids and all the actions it was great fun. We all looked like a bunch of crazies in the classroom but the kids loved it..  Got to be crazy sometimes.. xx

Hugs Yeti  xx

16 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Hello, everybody!
I looked for songs at the forum and there are loads: look!

Aftab57 always provides exc. material and resources. I have them stored in my desktop and will be sending you the links this member has suggested me/ provided us for, so far, if there is no objection.

Two more I looked for :

http://www.caslt.org/resources/english-sl/classroom-resource-links-music_en.php

About ss bringing some kind of inadequate stuff to class - no need saying: cut it off. They will appreciate and respect us for that, just trying to assess their limits, which is healthy on their side, it�s the right time to do so and learn from experience. If you make it quite clear about who �s in charge, you will have all the aces of the game.

Yeti, I quite agree about  giving ourselves the opportunity to be crazy.
Humour is such a resource in education, right?
See you around.
Best regards.

ij(nikadixon)

edit1: I�ve just found the link to aftab57�s timesaver on songs. Absolutely precious;  and so are the others. Here: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=221351#thetop

edit2: another afatb 57�s great timesaver on humour: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=247976#thetop

16 Oct 2009