Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > short and long /i/     

short and long /i/

silvia367
Spain

short and long /i/

Hi everyone!
I m teaching /i/ and /i:/ sounds and I m not sure about how to do it since I haven t got any good worksheet. Can you help me, please?

5 Nov 2008      

puspita
Indonesia

Hi Silvia367,

I think, since you�re dealing with pronunciation, you should let the students try to say the words to get the differences.  I recommend the �pronunciation journey worksheet� from �Pronunciation Games� by Mark Hancock.  In case you�re not familiar with the game, here are the steps:

1. Prepare slips of words of the specific sounds you want to teach.

2. Prepare the �map� consisting of names of cities as journey destinations.  Make the journey looks like this (example):

Jakarta (start)
                                                       __________|__________
                                           Kuala Lumpur                           Sydney
                            ________|________                       ________|________
                 Hong Kong                    Kyoto                 Seoul                      Taipei
           ____|____                   ____|____            ___|____                 ___|___
          Paris      Munich           Rio           Lima        NY     Ottawa    London    Manila

3. Tell students that you are waiting for them in a mystery city.  The only way to get there is to listen carefully to the clues and take the correct path.  If they�re not careful, they may get lost somewhere along the way.

4. Write the minimal pairs on the board, one on the left side and the other on the right side.  Tell the students that they have to go left when they think they hear the words from the �left� list and go right for the words from the other list.

5. Model the first trip.  Ask students to trace the path as you take the slips and pronounce the words.  Check if students can get to the correct destination or whether they�re lost.  For example:
       On the board:                         You say: live - these - sheep
       live      leave                            Correct path: Jakarta - KL - Kyoto - Lima
       this      these
       ship     sheep

6. Let students work in groups and try saying the words by themselves. Check the correct path by consulting the slips they take.

That�s about it.  Hopefully it helps you.  If you need the worksheet I�d be glad to email it to you.

5 Nov 2008