Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > New Ideas    

New Ideas

MaricelaD
Romania

New Ideas

Hello dear colleagues!

It �s good to be in touch with all of you again. I �m writing to you because I �m out of ideas! I have been teaching to the same adults for 2 years and we have tried almost everything: games, interesting activities, movies, songs..etc. But now I don �t know what else to bring to them. They are upper intermediate and advanced level and they tell me that they would like to practice more vocabulary but in a fun way. Do you have any ideas of activities suitable for adults?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

All the best,

Maricela

19 Oct 2009      

deryalim
Turkey

Dear teacher,
you can use reading comprehension with exercises...:)) 

19 Oct 2009     

Amaras
France

Hello Maricela:)
have you ever tried webquests? I used them a lot with both kids and adult classes and they loved it. If you can use some advice there let me know :)

Sara

19 Oct 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Perhaps you can read some books and discuss them in class.Something like a book club.

19 Oct 2009     

priorita
Ukraine

Maricela, you could try something like debates. You choose and discuss quite a disputable topic and then the students divided to 2 groups give their statements for and against. It would be better if you divide them as you want not they. E.g. euthanasia or abortion...

19 Oct 2009     

Copa
Italy

I �m a huge fan of role-play with my advanced-adults students. They are useful to improve conversation having fun. Then reading, watching movies and debating what they �ve read watched.

I hope I was useful.
Wishes
Copa

19 Oct 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Good thread! I could do with new ideas too, because advanced students have already seen so many things/techniques already so they can be a bit jaded. 

19 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Have you tried writing a pro and con problem.
divide the class into those for and those against.
Then let them, one by one explain why they are for or against.

I often use the problem of a new Chemical factory wants to
build right in the middle of town.  New jobs vs ruining the natural environment.

There are lots of dilemmas you can create for your students.
You could try filming them and let them watch afterwards.
It �s a good way to learn and be better! (and fun too!)

19 Oct 2009     

English971
Guadeloupe

You should probably try to make them create.

For example, u can still teach with games, movies, blogs......but your learners will make them. They will constantly be active and should appreciate it.

19 Oct 2009     

MaricelaD
Romania

Hello everybody!

Thank you so much for all your wonderful ideas. As always, the people on this website never let me down when I needed something. I really appreciate and value your opinions.

Thank you from all my heart for being here for me whenever I need something.

Warm hugs to you all!

Maricela

19 Oct 2009