Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Advise Needed regarding 12 year old ESL beginner    

Advise Needed regarding 12 year old ESL beginner

cherieimh
Vietnam

Advise Needed regarding 12 year old ESL beginner

Hello wise friends,

I find if I am not teaching I am hanging out on this website trying to learn more and more. I have started to tutor two boys who are 11 years old and who are living here in Viet Nam. They are in the sixth grade at an international school and the entire class is in English with no guidance in their native language. We are some months into the school year and the boys do not have a clue what is going on. They are wonderful kids with very concerned involved parents and I will do my best for them but I have been going through websites and of course going through topics here to find out where to begin. I do not want to be too simple or to start them out with flashcards with numbers but they were having a difficult time even telling me their ages...... eleven-teen. ....... Downloading has saved me with other classes and I used worksheets today from here which were excellent but I am looking for some way to teach these boys English without resorting to basic �kids � work...... I think they would feel shy about having to study material that is just too �young � for them. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to help these boys they are suffering in the class room  I have no points left so if you have anything you could share on just about any subject and can send it I shall repay ten fold in days to come! Just so busy trying to get all this started and being new means that it is all a big new experience! Regards to all, Cher

19 Oct 2009      

eng789
Israel

Most boys like football/soccer.  You can teach them a lot through talking about the game.  How many players?   What actions do they do?  What are the rules?  What do they wear? etc. 
If you need something let me know and PM your e-mail and I will send you some stuff.
There are some good wss on the site.

I hope this helps a bit. 

19 Oct 2009     

miss.cecilia
Argentina

Trivia!? Having a trivia contest can be a good way to stimulate some (healthy) competition and have some fun.

If you �re teaching numbers you can create questions and options. They must pay attention to the pronunciation and answer correctly

Create simple questions: How old is your teacher? How many days are in March? How old is  (someone famous)? How many legs has a spider got?

Hope it helps  

19 Oct 2009     

ulkugunes
Turkey

Hi,
I can advise you to give them a profile sheet where you ask their families, their hobbies, favorite TV channels or programs, colors...I dont know. In this way while preparing a lesson plan (any teaching point)...you can make use of what they really like. If you can get in touch with their real life (school, family or friends), you have a good deal of material to present in the lessons. They will get surprised when you form a sentence with the name of their Math teacher, for example or their favorite basketball player.

Let me know...if it helps
Ulku

21 Oct 2009