Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > help me to change the topic    

help me to change the topic

ituska
Slovakia

help me to change the topic

Hi, I need your help again...
I am a teacher of 2 years old kids in kindergarten. Next week we suppose to have Halloween topic. However, I do not like this holiday... So I am looking for some other topic or some ideas how to avoid this scary theme.
Do you have any?

Thanks a lot Smile

21 Oct 2009      

eng789
Israel

You can do something about "fall"  the leaves changing colors and falling.  Winter coming soon.
The story "The Ant and The Grasshopper".

21 Oct 2009     

ituska
Slovakia

thanks eng, that was my first idea... but we will talk about fall during all november. But I wil check the story, for sure :)

that �s why I do not know, what to do next week.

21 Oct 2009     

mkosior
Poland

TO BE HONEST, I FIND DISCUSSING HALLOWEEN WITH NON-AMERICAN 2-YEAR-OLDS MEANINGLESS. THEY ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH ANY OF THE IMAGERY AND IT IS TOTALLY ABSTRACT TO THEM.
I AGREE THAT YOU SHOULD TALK TO THE KIDS ABOUT THEIR IMMEDIATE SURROUNDING. THE FALL, LEAVES (AND THEIR COLORS), RAIN, RAINBOW, CLOUDS, COLORFUL UMBRELLAS.
FIND THE SONG: RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY, COME AGAIN ANOTHER DAY... ON YOUTUBE. IT ALSO INTRODUCES FAMILY MEMBERS VOCABULARY AND IT IS FUN. MY 3-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER LOVES IT!!!!
I JUST LOVE TEACHING 2-Y-OLDS!!! MY FAVORITE AGE GROUP!

21 Oct 2009     

almaz
United Kingdom

Non-American 2 year-olds? Give us a break! What about Australian 2 year-olds? Irish, Scots, Welsh, English, Jamaican, New Zealand etc etc 2 year-olds? These are kids who �ll grow up, as I did, with the fun, the creativity and scariness as well as the dressing up, the treating (not tricking!) and all the other dramatic aspects of a genuine grotesquely wonderful grassroots street theatre.

21 Oct 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Two years old ???????????
You can make a carnival, and you will have a funny party, but nothing to do with Halloween. Sometimes I get mad, it seems to me the majority of people think of Halloween as a Carnival. halloween is a very deep, ancient tradition, with lots of political and religious links, where you can see how deep some institutions can go, so as to merge ancient traditions and cultures. Roman catholic church has done, through centuries a very, very hard work, so hard that, nowadays Celtic and roman catholic traditions are completely merged.Catholic Roman Church has been destroying, for centuries, Celtic traditions. People from the north islands of Europe may understand this better than me, but I know how much true knowledge there was in those wonderful, old, ancient Celtic traditions.
I don �t think Halloween can be a subject to 2 year old kids. You can have the fun, the folklore, the disguises,... but not the soul of Halloween.

I am a Halloween lover and it makes me sad when people deal with this so strong tradition in a light way.
Sorry, I didn �t  give you an idea, better, I did, I tried to say that, either you don �t have a Halloween or, if you try, your kids won �t understand it.

Happy Halloween, may the souls and spirits brighten your mind in Halloween. This is Halloween.
hugs
from a non Celtic. non roman, non catholic member

22 Oct 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

Why don �t you just have a special treat day? A carnival sounds like a great idea.

22 Oct 2009     

liquidnuance
Japan

I like the "carnival" idea for little kids.  Autumn always reminds me of country fairs and such.  If you have a huge block of time (and helpers) and want to go all out, you could have several booths with games/crafts, a simple maze, and autumn refreshments (apple "cider", or apple anything really).  If you �re just doing a short lesson, then the other ideas listed here are probably better than anything I can think of for that (not having had a lot of experience teaching 2-year-olds).  Good luck!

22 Oct 2009     

liquidnuance
Japan

Oh, speaking of crafts...perhaps instead of teaching *about* Halloween, you could just do some fun Halloween/autumn crafts.  Pumpkin-related ones and such. 

22 Oct 2009