Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Old students in their 60-70s    

Old students in their 60-70s

SaraMariam
United States

Old students in their 60-70s

Hello everybody :)
I hope you are all doing great. Today I �m having a question for you as well and it �s concerning old students. This week I came into a new class where I found 4 women that were in their 60s (my guess). I have been talking to the teacher of the class who has taught them for 4 years and she told me she is getting crazy with them since they just dont seem to learn at all. Since the women are in that age; not all of them know how to read and write very well in the first place and now they often mix letters and get confused. The teacher has been trying to tell them how to differ the letters but her method just didnt seem to work.
Another thing I noticed while watching the class is that they don �t really seem to be learning by reading the words in (short) texts; but merely by trying a mix of reading and memorizing of how the teacher had pronounced the word. I don �t know if I explained the situation well enough; it seems a bit complicated; since I have never seen such cases before myself I must admit. Now I am trying to find ways how to teach these students and help them how to learn to differ the letters  and really read the words and not simply repeat what they hear (and also that the words stay in their heads somehow). And I have no idea how to accomplish that whatsoever. If anybody has ANY ideas or adivce I would be more than happy to hear it :) Thanks a lot <3

Hugs
Sara

28 Oct 2009      

Martharamirez
Colombia

Hi Sara,
Could you be more exact on what you mean by differing the letters? Do you mean them learning the alphabet?

28 Oct 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi Sara,
I have one group of adults who are in their late 50 �s and 60 �s and I help them learn by showing them flashcards or playing simple, easy games.
I just adapt sometimes what I would be teaching kids and that seems to help them a lot.
I do understand that it �s not easy but perservere as it �s also a wonderful age group to teach.Hug
Mine are semi-retired or retired so I don �t push them to do much homework...just enough to remember a few words that we are learning in the classroom....as my group really just want to have English Conversation...I don �t have to push reading or writing too much with them.
Some things work and some things don �t but they are making good, steady progress and I do allow for problems with memory. That �s probably the most frustrating part for them and for me but I don �t let it get me down.
All the very best,
Fiona.

28 Oct 2009     

SaraMariam
United States

Thanks a lot for your nice answers :) What kind of games are you playing with them, ants? 

Hmm by differing the letters I mean the alphabet yes, for example like differing between b and d. Sounds a bit like a dyslexic problem too; but I guess it is also an age question as they didnt learn how to read and write when they were young. With conversation in general they dont have a big problem really. It is more about the reading. And I must admit they I dont really have any experience with that kinds of problems as I never studied at a university to be a teacher to learn how to deal with problems like this :s. So please any advice is too helpful for me :) Thanks a million :)
Hugs
Sara

28 Oct 2009     

carolina_772
Spain

I was teaching English to two people at these ages. It was complicated for them to read and get used to English pronunciations, forms... Give more importance to oral communication than to written one. They liked a lot to learn dialogues of things that they can use daily and use it in the class. Patience! It has to be hard to teach how to read and write.... but try to make it and if not, give more importance to the oral activities!

Hope you find the solution, and explain it :)

9 Nov 2009