Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > This is what I find interesting besides teaching materials here at ESL    

This is what I find interesting besides teaching materials here at ESL

libertybelle
United States

This is what I find interesting besides teaching materials here at ESL

You know what I find interesting?
More than national holidays, birthdays, moderating and worksheets?

I really like hearing what YOUR day is like at school.  Heart

How is your school run?  What are you students like?
Are your colleagues cooperative? 
Do your students like learning English?
Do you have books and are you able to photocopy?
Do you feel your country cares about education? 
Are teachers in your country well paid - and if not - why not?
Are teachers respected in your country?
Do you find some of the demands of teaching overwhelming?
How do the parents treat you?  Do they want to have a say in what you teach?
Why did you choose to be a teacher?
Has it lived up to your dreams and expectations?

Hearing about YOU is what interests me.  We can all share and learn from each other.

HugsHeart
L

29 Oct 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

Liberty, I �ve been teaching for about 20 years. My students are different than when I started. I see more learning disabilities than I care to but I would not trade my job for another one. I love what I do.
I don �t think teachers are paid enough and I think education has lost value in the eyes of society in general. People see the long summer holidays that we get and think that we picked that job for the holidays. If I had chosen this job for the summer off, I would be quite bored for the 10 months I �m working.
Parents usually treat us right but I don �t spend my whole day with their kids. I see about 5 groups of students per day. When they �re not with me, they are with their homeroom teacher. Sometimes parents ask me to explain in first language, which is something I always refuse to do. Once I explain how I work, it usually clears the misunderstanding they have towards my school subject.

Teaching has its ups and downs but I go to work with a smile everyday. My school is my second home: great friends, great colleagues and to top it off, I have a great boss who knows that teachers work really hard to assure success to the highest number of students.

30 Oct 2009     

Andr�iaPinsan
Brazil

Hi Libertybelle!

When I read your post I thought "that �s really something I �d like to spend some time on.
When I see people complaining, arguing... I personaly think this is a waste of time...
But your topic is "light"!
I �m Brazilian and I teach both, English and Spanish. I used to teach Portuguese too, but not anymore.
I love both languages.. but I prefer English!
I work at a private language institute which provides us its own material because it �s a franchising. The methodology is nice, the classes are very communicative. Students participate during the whole class.
The students receive their text book, workbook, drills (a small book with drills for further practice) and also a LCP (Listening Comprehension Practice) book. They also have their CD (which runs both on the computer and cd player). With the help of the program they have installed on their CD they can do their homework on the computer (which provides them with instant correction) and then print their homework to hand it in.
So, it �s nice, in my opinion, because when they make a mistake they see the correction and can learn from it.
Teachers at regular school, specialy the public ones, aren �t respected - unfortunately. They also don �t have good salaries. The lack of discipline is a big problem they have to face in their everyday living.
In my case, I don �t face this problem. The groups are small (no more than 10 students in class). The salary is better too. It just depends on the school you work.
I have the students participation, cooperation. They like English,  they like the classes. Of course, there �s no perfection anywhere. Sometimes we face problems too - like those teens that don �t want to study but their parents do... so... you can imagine the situation.
But nothing serious.
Being a teacher wasn �t my first choice.
I studied Law first. But then, I got very disappointed with the profession, so I decided to study Languages and then I felt myself at home.
I know I have to learn a lot. And I seek for my everyday learning. But I do love what I do!

Being a teacher is being part of people�s lives. I know when I teach (and learn) I give something from me while I receive from my students. And this process makes me a better person because it makes me think about the importance of communication and the importance of respect and tolerance with the differences.

I AM a teacher, from heart and soul, and I do love it!

Kisses from Brazil!

30 Oct 2009     

lomasbello
Venezuela

I have been  teaching since I was a student university but definetely, students are not the same than when I started. I really love my career and I always try to my best; however, the educational system is so corrupted here in Venezuela and sometimes the biggest problems is the one that we face when we are trying to fight against the absence of parents at home. Students apart from facing the natural changes of being a teenager , They fight every day in order to be loved and cared for their parents. Sometimes, our love is not enough and most of their behaviour is the way they find to call their parent �s attention. I agree with manonski when she said teachers are not paid enough and this task is a matter of heart and compromise with ourselves. If a teacher once thought this is a career to become millionaire, made a wrong choice. It goes beyond money.

Regarding to my colleguees, It is hard to deal with people from different personalities and believe it or not, Some teachers in Venezuela, teach by a life accident. The career chose them not they chose their career. Some of them, refuse to update and use technology to improve their performarce. And on top of all, schools do not have the minimal school supplies needed in the learning process. If I go deeply, currently classes have been cancelled for a week since the water pipes broke and because of this, bathrooms were closed.

So for me libertybelle, teaching is touching someone �s life.

30 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Often I find it �s not the students that have changed but me as a teacher!

Cheers,
AB

30 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

teaching is touching someone �s life. - and allowing ourselves be touched by theirs.

Thanks to LB and AB - words to work by.

30 Oct 2009