Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > English Language Teachers (English being the key word)    

English Language Teachers (English being the key word)

lindi&jo
Australia

English Language Teachers (English being the key word)

I have downloaded soooooo many worksheets and when I go to use them in class the explanations are in a different language (usually Spanish or French).

I speak English and am teaching English!

I really feel that since we are sharing worksheets for learning English and since English is the language we all have in common that the people who upload these worksheets could at least upload a 2nd one with the information translated into English (I suggest uploading a second one because I�m sure that the information in your own language will be useful for some teachers who share your language).

If this doesn�t happen, what could have been a really useful worksheet is useless to most of us.

I hope you agree

7 Nov 2008      

wolfy
Chile

I agree,

also, some questions are "and what is the situation in Chile, Spain, france, etc, I have to change it. �It wouldn�t hurt to put your country instead.

7 Nov 2008     

lindi&jo
Australia

I don�t mind if questions are about the person�s country as this can be changed easily and I don�t mind making these types of changes.

Where the foriegn languages (such as Spanish and French) are involved though, these I cannot change.

I really do think it is just so selfish to put worksheets on here in languages other than English.

At the very least the owner of the worksheet could say in the description that their information is in another language so others don�t waste their points downloading things they can�t use.

Sorry to keep going on and on about this guys. Just in the last few days I�ve found 5 such worksheets in my downloaded stuff that I was hoping to use that have Spanish definitions.

Sooooo, this is the last rant I�ll have. I just hope my message somehow gets through : )

7 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

... mmm... I have had that problem a few times and fortunately, I do speak Spanish and understand Portuguese and French BUT when I find a worksheet in Greek, Polish or Russian... I am stumped!

I think a good way to avoid such a thing is - if people are going to put the instructions to a worksheet in their own language so that their students can understand what they have to do, perhaps they should also add the instructions in English as well.

7 Nov 2008     

saracor
Spain

Sorry, I don�t agree. Using Spanish or French can be useful for some teachers and it is also part of language learning. I think it is easier not to download that worksheet if you are not interested than despising someone�s work.

7 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Saracor,

I�d just like to point out that a lot of times, you find out too late, after you�ve downloaded the worksheet, that part of it is in some other language. That is why, we are just saying that it would make more sense that to either a) say the worksheet is in another language or - b) put the instructions also in English as well.

7 Nov 2008     

lindi&jo
Australia

Yes, when I have downloaded those worksheets with non English  I didn�t find out until I opened them. Sometimes when it shows you the preview the writing is too small to be able to distinguish the difference.

Zora, thanks for your comments. I�m glad I�m not the only one frustrated by this.

I�d also just like to add that I understand that putting instructions in the student�s own language is of great use to them but for us that are downloading the shared worksheets have no way to utilise the worksheet.

I don�t think it�s a huge ask for teachers to make not of other languages in the worksheet description or even better add another sheet with English only.

8 Nov 2008