Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to be a good teacher?    

How to be a good teacher?

D@N! P
Brazil

How to be a good teacher?

Hello peps. How are you, guys?

First of all, I need to say how much I love �Eslprintables� people. You are wonderful.

I�m always asking for help, and you always help me. That�s fantastic. I�m a new teacher and it�s fantastic to have so many good teachers helping me, giving ideas and support. Thank you very much.

Today I have some simple questions. I feel that students aren�t appreciating my classes. And, to be sincere, I don�t feel I have done my work in the end of the day. I think that�s something missing. I�ve been wondering ways to become a better teacher and improve my classes and my knowledge about teaching techniques and methods.

But I want to hear your ideas and tips. What do you suggest? How can I be a good teacher? How can I make my class good, interesting and efficient?

Thanks in advanced.

Bye bye

5 Nov 2009      

moravc
Czech Republic

If your students are bored, try GAMES ! They will love your class for sure...
Try card games, boardgames, films, role plays, drama, songs etc...
You can find everything at eslprintables!
Ask one of the GOOD students to act as a teacher for 10 minutes - ask him/her to review the topics/grammar...
If the students are still bored, ask them to PARTICIPATE in creating revision BOARDGAMES, choosing songs, films etc... !

Good luck and keep us informed how you are doing.....

5 Nov 2009     

Martharamirez
Colombia

Well, something I do is that I have clear objectives for the class and I write them on the board for Ss to see. I have three objectives (communication, language and learning).

For example:
Communication: Describe your best friend.
Language: Use adjectives to give descriptions.
Learning: Visualize to learn new vocabulary.

The learning objective refers to the learning strategy I use in class, but you can start out with the first two.
You have to ask yourself what you want your student to do by the end of the class in terms of speaking and what language aspect they will use to achieve that goal.

If you need any pointers, I �d be glad to help, just send me a message.

Have a nice day.

5 Nov 2009     

fsams
Maldives

What I do is,greet them and  ask them some basic questions! Like

How are you all?
or whether they have done something interesting or not? And let students share their thoughts and ideas to the whole class.

SLowly go into the topic!

Ask them questions about what they already know about the topic

BUT don �t ask bluntly like this "Ok students, what are your prior knowledge about tourism"?

Instead try asking more indirect questions like

What comes to your mind when I say the word �Tourism �

Then definitely students will give one word or phrase answers.

You could write them on the board for every one to see.

This is a good way to kick off the lesson!

Let me know if I can help you in any specific areas!

All the best,
Fsams

5 Nov 2009