Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > travel or trip?    

travel or trip?

Dayana
Peru

travel or trip?

Hello colleagues?

Can you help me to define the differences and uses between travel and trip

Thanks a lot!

11 Nov 2009      

eng789
Israel

I found this,  maybe someone can find a more exact difference.

trip Going from one place to another. Can be used for short and unimportant matters. Sometimes used where the process of going is more important than the destination.

travel As a noun, a very general term for the process of going from A to B.

11 Nov 2009     

Dayana
Peru

thank you. Journey is also a confusing word for students Travel vs Journey vs Trip Can you help me please? Diana

11 Nov 2009     

serene
Greece

From Longman online dictionary:
Travel (uncountable noun) and travelling are used to mean the general activity of moving from place to place
� Air travel is becoming cheaper.
� Her work involves a lot of travelling.!!
You do not say �a travel �.
Use journey to talk about travelling a long distance or travelling regularly, when the emphasis is on the travelling itself
� a long and difficult journey (NOT travel) through the mountains
� I read during the train journey to work.
� Did you have a good journey? (=Were you comfortable, was the train on time etc?)
A trip is when you go on a short journey, or a journey you do not usually make, and come back again. Use this when the emphasis is on where you are going or why you are going there
� my first trip to the States
� a business trip
� Was it a good trip? (=Did you achieve what you wanted to or have a good time there?)

11 Nov 2009