Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > What do you think, dear teachers?    

What do you think, dear teachers?

isabella.bel
Brazil

What do you think, dear teachers?

I had a problem with some of my worksheets.
The thing is: I get some texts from some websites, put the links from  where I �ve got them and I MAKE THE ACTIVITIES. they are usually at the bottom of the page and are mostly writings and conversations activities. But they have been removed, cause people said that they are copies.
But you know, students prefer to read and learn by real texts, which they can find anywhere, in any blog, any website, any magazine. They don �t like artificial texts not even those fill in the blanks activities. That �s why I use  the texts in wich they can see the language IN USE, cause the text was written for a reason, not just to teach a grammar rule. and when my printables were avaliable, they �ve got lots of points and many compliments from the teachers, who found them useful and creative.
So, I �d like to know why the web site can �t accept my printables, even if they have the link of the texts and ORIGINAL ACTIVITIES, MADE BY ME.
let �s get real here, huh? most of the teacher don �t write the texts they �ll use in a class, thank God, cause we all know that the students prefer real things, from where they can start nice conversations.
Isn �t that the way how we make a persaon a human being? by interacting, discussing, exchanging ideas? I think so, and I think most of the teachers agree with me.
So why can �t the website just keep my worksheets?

Hope to hear from you soon!
Isabella

12 Nov 2009      

maoopa
China

Hi Isabella,

I do support doing activities based on realia. I do that too but I haven �t brought those worksheets here yet.
I have never seen your WSs but, according to what you say, they are just perfect to prepare students for real life.

I think that there should be more guidance here regarding many topics. Sometimes members attack you just because they "think" what you do is not right... no support for their judgements whatsoever, just things like "I never do that", or "other members don �t do it", etc.

This site is a very valuable tool I use soemtimes, mostly to answer questions when I have to write papers. But clear directions towards what is supposed to be banned should be put in place before this becomes ruled by the "I Thinkers".

I hope you get your WSs back so that I can check them out.

Best reagrds,

Mauro

12 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

Greetings

The problem is that you don �t provide any creativity in your contributions. The only thing that you do is find some texts through GOOGLE or YAHOO, copy-paste them into Word, add some clip art, and then you call that a contribution.

The thing is: ANYONE can find your copied texts on the NET, so why should you get rewarded for that?Yes, we are ALL aware of the importance of reading authentic texts, there is no need to remind us of that.

And yes, most users in eslprintables.com get their texts from the NET, but it doesn �t end there. They create valuable questions and exercises that go along with the text so that they can examine their students � comprehension of those texts.

So, you may continue to add your copied texts and think that people won �t notice - but people will continue to report your contributions. Wink

ps: I wonder, when students need to do book reports in your class or research on a particular subject, would you allow them to copy paste things from sites like wikipedia.org?
I think not. 

have a super day!

12 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

To delete a ws moderators don �t "think" about what to do, we have clear instructions at the reporting page, the same directions every member here can read (if they want to) because they appear before the uploading of any ws. At least, they appear for me.

If the wss were deleted certainly it was not because someone "thought" they should be removed but because they were against the rules. To be deleted a ws has to be voted for many moderators and the majority of votes decides if it should either stay or go.

We don �t make rules, we only follow them and if everyone did the same, moderators wouldn �t be necessary.

Have a nice day!

12 Nov 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Well said, Zaida! Moderators spend a lot of valuable time checking reported wss, going back to the sites where they were taken from to verify if they really are copies or not.  We see dozens of wss copied from other members, wss in various languages, plain cliparts with no activities...  It is really sad to read that some members, who have no idea of the amount of work and commitment it takes to check the reported contributions, call us the "I Thinkers" and ask for "clear directions" that already exist.  It is really discouraging and unfair.

"We don �t make rules, we only follow them and if everyone did the same, moderators wouldn �t be necessary." Zailda

12 Nov 2009     

maoopa
China

I must appologize.

I never meant to undervalue moderators � work. I think commintment like that is needed to ensure quality and value, making our profession be better and become more respected.

However, I still feel strong about SOME "I thinkers" who may be moderators or standard members who judge contributions under the light of their thoughts.

Moderators, please accept my appologies and be sure that I value your work, but also understand that questioning does not mean offending or being disrespectful. Questioning is an important tool to "watch the watchers". Just like in a democracy where the people in charge are watched by the citizens.

Mauro

12 Nov 2009