Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > articles with days of the week...    

articles with days of the week...

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

articles with days of the week...

Dear colleagues,
I know there is a possibilty to use article �a � and article �the � with days of the week...for example, today in Cambridge Objective First Certificate course book, I saw this: �If I left on a Saturday, after the draw, I wouldn �t get there until the middle of the night �
and another  one, from the same text �If they take their ticket to the office on the Monday, they will get the money �. What is the reason behind this use of articles?
Thank you in advance!
Kate.

12 Nov 2009      

Lana.
Ireland

It �s a particular Monday, the Monday that is somehow different from other Mondays, say the Black Monday... The Bloody Monday...Or the Monday when his ghost comes back to haunt...

It is also possible to say "the Monday of the 13th of November", as far as I know. 

13 Nov 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I would also add that here "the Monday" means the same as "that Monday"

"If they take their ticket to the office on Monday" would mean the Monday of this week is the only one being talked about.
"If they take their ticket to the office on a Monday" would mean any Monday was possible.
"If they take their ticket to the office on the Monday" means that particular Monday, the closest one to the time period you are talking about.
 So for example; planning 2 months in the future: "I will buy the ticket online on Sunday the 4th, then take the ticket to the office on the Monday" as in that Monday after the  4th.

Hope that was clear!

13 Nov 2009     

Marla D.
United States

In the "take their ticket" sentence, it is also correct to just write-
If they take their ticket to the office Monday, they will get their money.
 If you are talking about the Monday that is coming-
If they take their ticket to the office this Monday, they will get their money.
If you are talking about on any Monday-
If they take their ticket to the office on a Monday.

13 Nov 2009