Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > What īs the best method to teach the verb to be?    

What īs the best method to teach the verb to be?

iroshcan
Turkey

What īs the best method to teach the verb to be?

Hi dear colleagues :)

I need your help.I am going to teach the verb to be for my young learners. According to our  cirruculum for 4th graders  ,I īve taught some topics such as greetings,  classrooom objects, classroom commands,the names of family members  so far , and i have to teach the verb to be and  do you know the most effective teaching ways and funny games or songs about this subject (am is are)? My learners love songs and games so much so i must teach this subjects in this way .

Thanks in advance

Hugs from Turkey :)

14 Nov 2009      

Tatyana83
Armenia

Hi!

Each lesson We sing this (Like a wormingi-up before lesson starts)
I-am
You-are
He is
She is
It is
We are
They are -
using our Russiann well-known from childhood NewYear Tune.
Use any TUNE (even without audio -support) your students know from childhood ( or whatever) and sing this Short song

I-am
You-are
He is
She is
It is
We ar
They are -
The īll we īll remember thid verb in NO time! :0)

14 Nov 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I sometimes use simple adjectives with the verb to be.  I am happy.  Are you happy? Is he happy?  etc. 
I give my class pictures of simple adjectives and have them ask their classmates a question according to the adjective in the picture.  Once they have learned the verb to be and adjectives together, we play a game with this.  Each person has a turn using the verb to be with their picture adjective and each student is asked in turn to remember what the others have said.  It is like a chain repetition.  I am tall, Richard is happy, Marc  is sad, Jane and Sue are  rich, Tom is poor etc. The person who is able to recite the most is the winner.

14 Nov 2009     

arkel
Ireland

http://genkienglish.net/pronouns.htm This song worked wonders for my young kids.

14 Nov 2009