Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English as a third foreign language    

English as a third foreign language

Sarala
Germany

English as a third foreign language

Dear friends, I need your help!!!! I have some students who learn English after their native language and German. Mostly my students are from the former Soviet Union. Perhaps you can give me some advice or pedagogical and methodological literary suggestions........... I am really a little bit confused. Tthank you!!!!

14 Nov 2009      

julianbr
Italy

hi Sarala ... what specific help do you need? ... please clarify why you consider it so important that the students learn Engish after or before German .. I think the basic approach is the same .. isn � t it?

14 Nov 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello, nothing to be confused about. All you have to do is choose a good book by Oxford University Press (let �s say �New English File � series or �Headway �) or something by Cambridge University Press and here you go! Just take into account your students � level of English and age. Probably your students will have a problem with pronunciation (depending on how big the influence of German is) but even if their German is fluent, it will take about a month or two for them to �switch � to English pronunciation, usually Russian native speakers don �t have big troubles with it. Good luck to you and your students.
Kate

14 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Sarala,
I teach several students originally from Ukraine. Today they speak also Czech fluently and most of them are very good in English too. I would only recommend you Project books by Oxford University Press instead of Headway. I think it �s better than Headway (I personally really don �t like Headway), but it �s only my personal point of view.
And don �t be afraid or confused - there is really nothing to be afraid of;o)
Michaela

14 Nov 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Are you teaching adults? And are they voluntarily learning English? I �ve taught adults from that area and really enjoyed it, because they wanted to learn. Also they brought in a great theoretical base for learning languages. Just mind the accent and work on that where necessary (same as with most students really).
If you want, you can pm me with more specific questions. Makes it easier to answer.
Books - as Kate said - and the worksheets from here will serve you well.
Take care and have a nice weekend!
Good luck!
Mietz

14 Nov 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Well, personally I like �New Headway Beginner � and use it with adults, other levels of Headways I use as supplementary to �New English File � (adults) . As far as I know �Project � is aimed at young learners (approx. age is 9-12). I think that Project books are ok. But could be better, though. So, the author of the thread should think about her students � age, then level and then see what books she would like. Also, do not forget to use extra activities books  - they make the learning process so much fun Wink

14 Nov 2009     

Sarala
Germany

The first thing, I cannnot choose a book. It �s a state vocational German school. Secondly, the interferences or other influences in grammar and syntax come from the both languages Russian and German as I see them in the tests we write. I don �t know how to deal with them during my English class: should i compare some grammar phenomena or find similarities and contrastive aspects among these languages? Should I predict the errors and classify them for my students? How to make it clear? Or perhaps they don �t need it at all .....?

14 Nov 2009     

cli1
Andorra

Dear Sarala,
I�m a teacher in Andorra and people here�usually�speak Catal�, Spanish and French. So many of my six-year-olds�already�speak two languages before they start with English. More important, some of them have a Spanish/Catalan and others a French background, which is quite similar to your situation.�
At the beginning I found this quite confusing (I�m also from Germany), but now I think it�s just a matter of getting used to the types of mistakes. They might seem new and very different to you now, but once you get used to them, you point them out and correct them automatically.�
Also I don�t think, that it�s important if it�s a typical French or �Catalan (or in your case a German or Russian) mistake. You correct them, they repeat and through repetion they learn...
Concerning grammar: Sometimes it helps to explain certain aspects comparing them to students� first language, but many times that�s impossible. In general I think, it�s better to just stick to English and use timelines, diagrammes etc. and provide a logical context and lots and lots of examples and exercise.�
Good luck, Jana

15 Nov 2009     

pepapelaez
Chile

don �t worry too much
if they are able to speak one language they will be able to learn as many languages as they want.
Just try to prepare motivating and signifficant lessons
and time will do the rest!
that �s my humble opinion

15 Nov 2009