Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > neither - more mistake    

neither - more mistake

anlu79
Germany

neither - more mistake

Hello teachers!

Could some of you please comment on that sentence:

�Teenagers are neither spending their money on useless things, nor aren �t they thinking about it. �

Am I right in saying that the second part of this sentence is wrong because you can �t use �nor � combined with a negative form?

Thanks for your feedback :)

15 Nov 2009      

mariaelaine
Malta

Yes it is incorrect.  It should be .......nor are they thinking about it.

15 Nov 2009     

anlu79
Germany

I think he wanted to say that teenagers do think about the way they spend their money.

I think the correct sentence ending should be �nor are they thoughtless about it �, although that sounds a bit weird. !?

15 Nov 2009     

juliag
Japan

This might sound  a little more natural though it �s a bit long:
�Teenagers are neither spending their money on useless things, nor spending it without thinking about what they really want and/or need. �

15 Nov 2009     

Beeya
Italy

I think the correct form should be ... nor do they think about it. I personally don�t see why present continuous is used there, since the phrase should imply a rather general state.
In what regards that they do think about not spending money, I kind of doubt that.

15 Nov 2009     

anlu79
Germany

Thanks for your replies! I think he meant to say that teenagers do think about it, as it was a longer essay and he argued in favour of teens getting pocket-money.

Seems like this neither-nor issue is rather complicated, I �ll have to do an extra lesson on it some time soon.

15 Nov 2009