Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Muslim friends help me, please!    

Muslim friends help me, please!

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello my dear Marianna,

We �re going to celebrate Eid Al-Adha next week on the 27th of November.

Eid al-Adha (Arabic: عيد الأضحى�Īdu l-�Aḍḥā) "Festival of Sacrifice" or "Greater Eid" is a Muslim Holiday celebrated by Muslims (including the Druze) worldwide to commemorate the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismael as an act of obedience to God.

Eid al-Adha is the latter of two Eid festivals celebrated by Muslims, whose basis comes from the Quran.[1] Like Eid al-Fitr, Eid al-Adha begins with a short prayer followed by a sermon (khuṭba).

Eid al-Adha annually falls on the 10th day of the month of Dhul Hijja (ذو الحجة) of the lunar Islamic calendar. The festivities last for three days or more depending on the country. Eid al-Adha occurs the day after the pilgrims conducting Hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia by Muslims worldwide, descend from Mount Arafat. It happens to be approximately 70 days after the end of the month of Ramadan.

The Arabic term "Festival of Sacrifice", �Īd ul-�Aḍḥā was borrowed as a unit into Indic languages such as Hindi, Urdu, Gujarati and Bengali and Austronesian languages such as Malay and Indonesian.

Another Arabic word for "sacrifice", (Arabic: قربانQurbān), was lent into Dari Persian - Afghanistan and Iranian dialect of Persian as Eyde Ghorb�n (Persian: عید قربان), into Tajik Persian as Иди Қурбон Idi Qurbon, into Kazakh as Құрбан айт (Qurban ayt), into Uyghur as Qurban Heyit, and also into various Indic languages. Other languages combined the Arabic word qurbān with local terms for "festival", as in Kurdish (Cejna Qurban� [2]), Pashto (Kurbaneyy Akhtar), Chinese (Chinese: 古尔邦节 G�ěrbāng Ji�), Malay and Indonesian (Hari Raya Korban, Qurbani), and Turkish (Turkish: Kurban Bayramı). The Turkish term was then later borrowed into languages such as Azeri (Qurban Bayramı), Tatar (Qorban B�yr�me), Bosnian, (Kurban Bajram), Serbian (Курбан бајрам), Russian (Курбан байрам).

Another Arabic name, �Īd ul-Kabīr (Arabic: عيد الكبير`Īd al-Kabīr), meaning "Greater Eid/Festival", is used in Yemen, Syria, and North Africa (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt). The term was borrowed directly into French as A�d el-Kebir. Translations of "Big Eid" or "Greater Eid" are used in Pashto لوی اختر Loy Akhtar, Kashmiri Baed Eid, Hindi and Urdu Baṛā Īd, Malayalam Bali Perunnal, and Tamil Peru Nāl.

Another name refers to the fact that the holiday occurs after the culmination of the Hajj (حج), or pilgrimage to Mecca (Makka). Such names are used in Malay and Indonesian (Hari Raya Haji "Hajj celebration day", Lebaran Haji), and in Tamil Hajji Peru Nāl.

Hope it �s useful, dear.

Hugs,
Najla

16 Nov 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Nebal, thank you for your post. I �ll talk again about this celebration on next Wednesday with my school children.
Grazie.
Mariannina

16 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

I didn �t realize that G-d tried the same test of faith twice.  I thought it was only Abraham and Issac as written in the bible.

16 Nov 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismael as an act of obedience to God.
God told Abraham to OFFER his son as a sacrifice NOT sacrifice him.  Abraham took ISAAC to the mountain not Ishmael.  Ishmael was an illegitimate son of Abraham and Hagar.  Barb, there is no evidence of Abraham being tested a second time.

16 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

The point is that it was Abraham and Issac and not Ibrahim and Ismael.

17 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2