Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Christmas and New Year    

Christmas and New Year

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

Christmas and New Year

Good evening/morning, Teachers!!! We work in different timezones that �s why.... I �m interested today in the way you celebrate Christmas and New Year �s eve in Japan,UAE,Turkey,Saudi Arabia everywhere beyond Europe and the Christianity. Tell me more!!!

16 Nov 2009      

nat-goncharenko
Russian Federation

Hi) as for Russia we �v Christmas on the 7th of January. We usually already have decorated trees on the New Years � eve and on Christmas we go visit our friends and also lots of people like to tell fortunes. They use cards for it mirrors and candles and other a little bit mystical stuff. On Christmas night children in Russia usually do something like treat-or-tricking they also wear costumes and go house to house asking for treats in Russian it �s called �Kolidyada � �. It �s not habitual to give presents on Christmas here as we usually do it on NY day. Generally Christmas here is part religious and part pagan though it may sound strange. Some people just go to Churches and stay a mass there. Hope it �ll be to you of any interestBig smile CHeers from RussiaHug

16 Nov 2009     

mariannina
Italy

In Italy The Christian Catholic start preparing Christmas on the 8th of December, the day dedicated to Mary Immaculate, The mother of our Jesus.
In traditional families we prepare the Manger scene, a "replica" of the hut in Bethlehem, where Jesus was born. Nowadays we also deck a fir tree with decorations and gifts for the children (and not only children!).
There is a solemn ceremony at midnight (the night between the 24th and the 25th of december) and we exchange good wishes with family and friends.
On Christmas day we have a huge family reunion with an ample meal and we enjoy to stay all together.
On new year eve we have another family reunin or we go out to celebrate with friends and we toast to the coming year.
In Italy there is another feast, that is the day of the Befana, a beneficial witch, who brings gifts to the children who have been "good", to the naughty ones she brings charcoal!
The Befana represents the end of the Three Kings � voyage in search of Jesus.
This is what I do in my family, in Italy there are hundreds of variations!
Ciao

16 Nov 2009     

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

Thank you - Mariannina and Nat-Goncharenko!!!

16 Nov 2009     

windflora
Turkey

We do not celebrate Xmas in Turkey because it is a part of Christian religion and culture. However, we do celebrate New Year. Everyone has a different style of celebration. Some of us celebrate it with our families, some of us celebrate it with friends outside. Generally young people go to New Year parties and dance. In big cities like Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir, people celebrate it in city square. Singers sing their beautiful songs and people have fun. It is also a tradition here to buy presents for the ones whom you love the most. This is it:))

16 Nov 2009     

Alina26
Romania

Hello!
I �m from Romania and I �d like to say a few words about the way we spend Christmas here. I won �t write too much about the commercial aspect of this religious holiday; I just want to point out that unfortunately, Christmas has become a worldwide business; sometimes I feel that the Christmas spirit has been corrupted, altered by endless advertisements and products. And all this craziness starts at the beginning of November (hypermarkets full of the so-called �special offers � and hurried, impatient people, eager to buy everything they see).
OK, maybe I �m being too personal when telling you all this, but I really miss those true Christmas holidays, with a lot of snow and lots of presents, with my mother who used to disguise herself in Santa Claus and bring me all I wanted. Every year, we used to have a huge Christmas tree, which was decorated by all the family while we were listening to peaceful carols. And the special dishes we had... we still have :) pork roast, �sarmale � (the Turkish �sarma �), and the �cozonac � (smth like a sponge cake, filled with nut or poppy, very tasty). Christmas is a holiday that must be spent together with your family. As for New Year �s Eve... well, everybody starts looking for houses/ mansions/ pensions to rent, so that they can throw unforgettable parties; it �s a total craziness, really:)
I �m looking forward to this year Christmas! Maybe we won �t have snow as we used to have once (everything �s changing, even the climate) and maybe we won �t have that great natural Christmas tree (we �ve become too lazy, we �ve started to buy smaller artificial ones from the market), but I hope I �ll have my family �s love surrounding me- and that will make a special Christmas again!
Merry Christmas to you all! and remember: Santa Claus does really exist! you just have to believe it :)

16 Nov 2009     

izabelbello
Brazil

Hi,

I agree with Sinziana. Unfortunatelly, Christmas has become a business celebration, even here in Brazil; the malls get crowded and people are always in a hurry, terrible!
For me, it �s time to celebrate together with our families, it �s time to be thankful for every good things we achieved during the year and pray for peace.
Here we usually cook tourkey, drink wine, have nuts and a cake called "Panettone" full of pieces of fruit.
In New Year �s Eve many people go to Copacabana Beach to see the fireworks, others travel to rest and have fun with their families or friends. Last year I went to Copacabana, but I prefered to have dinner in  a famous resturant  next to the beach; many people do that.

16 Nov 2009