Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Competences and Skills!!    

Competences and Skills!!

yenn
Mexico

Competences and Skills!!

Hi! What competences and skills do you develop and evaluate in your english classes??? I have to change all my lessons planning based on that and i�m confused. Please share your experiences and methods with me. Embarrassed
Thanks you all!

17 Nov 2009      

JulietaVL
Mexico

I know what you mean... I�ve been asked the same but in the program of "La SEP" there are descriptions of lots of them ... have you seen them?

17 Nov 2009     

Martharamirez
Colombia

Well, in my case, I have develop and assess mainly speaking, but I also have to check writing. In all this, I check grammar use, vocabulary, accuracy and fluency. The program I work with doesn �t work hard on listening, but anyway, they are listening as they speak.

Hope this helps

17 Nov 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Forgot to tell you... you can download the program of Secondary Schools in the webpage of "La SEP" and you�ll find there lots and lots of the competences students should develop.

17 Nov 2009     

yenn
Mexico

No I haven`t, but I will, Thanks Julieta, that it�s making me crazy! Wacko 
Thanks martha, it helps!!  :o)

BTW: What`s the difference between a competence and a skill?

17 Nov 2009     

lilishurmani
Hungary

Ok, i think that skills is the way of teaching a certain thing, but if you have competence means you are smart to do everything in the classroom not only to teach but ( class managment, using the board, eye contact, self confedance in teaching, teacher space .. etc ) .. hope this will help you 

17 Nov 2009     

bruxamery
Spain

Hope it would be useful!!

CONTRIBUTION OF THE AREA TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE BASIC COMPETENCES

The study of a foreign language contributes in a direct way to the development of the competence in linguistic communication, completing, enriching and filling new expressive and comprehensive elements of this general communicative capacity. The learning of the language extracted based on the development of communicative abilities, will contribute to the development of this basic competence in the same way the first language does.

Language is the main vehicle of human thought, the most powerful tool for the interpretation and representation of reality and the instrument of learning, for that reason, the subject, in terms of its contribution to the improvement of the general communicative capacity, also contributes to the competence to learn to learn.

Nevertheless, its greater contribution resides in that the learning of a foreign language benefits enormously if contents are included that are directly related to reflection on ones own learning, so that each student can identify how to learn better and which strategies make them more efficient. That is the reason for the inclusion in the introduction of the curriculum; of a specific section on reflection on the students own learning. At the same time the decisions that cause this reflection favour autonomy and, in this sense, it can be affirmed that the foreign language also contributes to the development of the competence for autonomy and personal initiative.

The competences cited are currently in direct relation with the competence for information processing and the digital competence. Information and communication technologies offer the possibility to communicate in real-time with any part of the world and also allow simple and immediate access to an incessant flow of information that grows every day. The knowledge of a foreign language offers the possibility to communicate whilst utilizing it, and, what is more important is that it creates real and functional contexts of communication.

This subject contributes in good measure to the development of the social citizenship competence. Languages serve the speakers to allow them to communicate socially, but are also a vehicle of communication and cultural transmission. Learning a foreign language implies the knowledge of characteristics and cultural facts linked to the different communities of speakers. This learning, well orientated by the school, should be translated into the interest to know other cultures by relating to other people, speakers or learners of that language. At the same time, the knowledge of another language and of cultural characteristics different to the speakers own, contributes to a better comprehension and appraisal of the mother tongue and culture and favours respect, recognition and the acceptance of cultural differences and behaviour, promotes tolerance and integration and aids understanding and appreciation of both characteristics of identity, and differences.

Finally, although in smaller measure, this subject contributes to the development of the cultural and artistic competence, if the linguistic models that are utilized contain, even with the limitations of this phase of the educational process, linguistic production with cultural components.

From the beginning, languages have been an important way of exchange and a cultural enrichment amongst people. Studying another language and their cultural features, will favour the development of social abilities

based on the respect and the acceptance of different habits and behaviours.

17 Nov 2009     

Toniapon
Spain

8 BASIC COMPETENCES:

1)   Linguistic competence.

2)   Competence in mathematics.

3)   Competences in the knowledge about and interaction with the environment.

4)   Digital and information processing competence.

5)   Social and civic competence. 

6)   Cultural and artistic competence.

7)   Learning to learn.

8)   Personal autonomy.

AND THE SKILLS ARE DIVIDED INTO FOUR BLOCKS OF CONTENTS

Listening, Speaking and Conversation,

Reading and Writing

Language Awareness

Socio-cultural Aspects and International Awareness.

21 Nov 2009