Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Relative Pronouns    

Relative Pronouns

boombox5
Korea, South

Relative Pronouns

Can anyone tell me how to explain the difference between whom and who? I know how to use them but I have no idea how to explain how to use them Tongue.
Thanks in advance! Happy Friday for those who are making their way through their Fridays!

20 Nov 2009      

zailda
Brazil

http://www.englishpage.com/minitutorials/who_whom.html

20 Nov 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Hi!

"Whom" is an object and "who" is a subject:

Whom did you see? = You saw whom? -- I saw Peter (Peter=object)
 Who is Peter? = here there �s no inversion as "who" is the subject

Hope this helps :=)

Regards from Spain,
 Olga

20 Nov 2009     

jocel
Philippines

Hello Boombox5,

I also want to give a simple explanation about "WHO" and "WHOM".

Who is a subject pronoun, in the same way as �he / she / they �.
Who is use for PERSON
Example:Who did you see?
Whom is an object pronoun, in the same way as �him / her / them �.
Whom � is the object of a verb.
Example: Whom did you see?

(Whom is very formal and not often used in spoken English.)

20 Nov 2009     

boombox5
Korea, South

wow, thanks guys, makes sense now although I am still trying to wrap my head around what is a subject and object Stern Smile whom is especially difficult for me cause i rarely ever use it. i wrote a formal email this morning and started it with, to whom it may concern but I think this is really the only time i ever use �whom �.

20 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

I predict that in 20 years time, whom will have ceased to exist. Language is alive and changing continually; modern speakers hardly ever use whom and even in writing, not using whom has become accepted (with the possible exclusion of essays and formal tests).

20 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

& PhilipR isn �t the only one who thinks so. Most of the contemporary writers on English linguistics (e.g. Swann) believe the same.

20 Nov 2009     

douglas
United States

I don �t even teach "whom" anymore.  I just let my students know they may hear it sometimes, but who is always acceptable and whom is being "phased out".  

Okay, I do tell them that whom is for asking about the object vs who being for the subject.

>Boombox--(in simplest terms) the subject does the action and the object receives the action

20 Nov 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Native speakers rarely use �whom � any more.  An exception is when you write "To whom it may concern"

20 Nov 2009     

mrsabirqureshi
Pakistan

http://web.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html

20 Nov 2009