Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Need your opinion    

Need your opinion

juliag
Japan

Hi everyone

Actually, this is something that I �m a bit confused about and would really appreciate some clarification.

I �m a relatively new member here and in the worksheets I have made so far any images I took from the internet I made sure they were copyright-free images, as I thought that was what we had to do. However, this obviously limits me as to what images I can use as there are not so many copyright free images out there.

But like Pastanaga and many of you others correctly say many of the worksheets on the site are obviously using non-copyright free images from the web, or copies from books. I agree that this makes them much better worksheets than they would be otherwise and that as we are doing it in the name of education and not for making a profit it would seem tobe okay. However, I also think we should try to follow copyright rules to maintain the high standards of this site. Also, if we don �t, isn �t there some danger that the site could be closed down in the future?

Which brings me to the question: What are the rules? Putting it very simply, what are we and what aren �t we allowed to use? For example, if it �s an image over 20 years old, is it okay to use it? If it �s just one image/text and we make our own activities to go with it, is it okay to use it? etc.

It would be really helpful for me, and I think other members too, if there was a list of dos and don �ts to make this murky subject slightly clearer, though I realize that it probably couldn �t be 100% comprehensive.

Maybe this is a good opportunity for all of us to review the rules about using images/texts etc. and check whether our worksheets are complying with them or not.

Pastanaga, I feel sorry that you seem to have been victimized, in that, as you say, although many people do the same thing, only you were reported. I hope that this problem is sorted out to your satisfaction soon. I �m sure Victor will give your case the correct consideration.

22 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Let �s not take all of this too far. It �s not as if all users are copying whole books and using anything but copyrighted pics. BTW, with an upload maximum of 300kB there �s not that much room for gross violations anyway. We �re not a file-sharing site a la Rapidshare.com, Englishtips.org or Scribd.com. Also, it �s virtually impossible to check every image taken from the Web for copyright. Should we only take those, then we can shut down this site, which would be a shame. I think that as long as we �re not financially hurting anyone, we should be okay. That said, I do think members are overusing The Simpsons.

22 Nov 2009     

abba
Spain

I always take the pictures of my WS from the net and I never pay attention whether I can use them for free. I suppose that if we looked in detail all the WS uploaded only a few of them would be �legal �. I also agree that there seems to somekind of witch hunt and there is somebody who is only trying to report WS as stolen. As long as you have created your own exercises where �s the problem with the pictures? This reminds me the SGAE in Spain, but with pictures. I �m very sorry Pastanaga and you have all my support.

22 Nov 2009     

teresapr
Portugal

I agree with what most of you said!Pictures and texts aren �t the most important! After all, we are neither artists nor writers. We are teachers. So, what really is important is what you do with them, I mean, the quality of the activities and exercises that are really yours!

22 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

I agree - send Victor a note.  This point needs to be cleared up.

22 Nov 2009     

lilishurmani
Hungary

OMG i take the picuters for my worksheet from other websites too beacuse i can �t draw  Confused but i think taking pictures only doesn �t mean you are stealing the activity .. we are teachers here not artistes 

23 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2