Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Re: need your opinion    

Re: need your opinion

David Lisgo
Japan

Re: need your opinion

This got bumped off early.

"My question is: if we want to use a picture, to make a content clear do we have to draw the pictures ourselves?"

Silvia, Victor has made it clear already in the rules he says:

"If you need images to make your worksheet, please use your own drawings or take them from public domain cliparts."

For me "your own drawings" can include any images you legally possess and have the right to use in worksheets, but it doesn �t mean you can photocopy from books that have copyrights, especially ELT books.

I didn �t see the worksheet in question, though I don �t think moderators were on a "witch hunt", as Babz suggests and we are not acting as "the Copyright Police Squad".  They (the moderators) didn �t vote against Silvia, but, I presume, against the infringement of the rules.

If Victor thinks it �s okay to copy from books, as some members of this site do, then he needs to change his own rules, but I think his own position is clear.

Regards,
David Lisgo

22 Nov 2009      

_babz
Canada

What I meant by �witch hunt � is
that they are some users, whether they are new to this site...or even old members, who themselves are moderators..

that are intentionally looking for old contributions (or fairly old) and they are reporting based on some technicalities (the reason? who knows....jealousy maybe)

i don �t know about you.....but if I see a contribution...that has over 1000 downloads...and that the only thing that �s wrong with it...is that ONE pic was taken from a book (or site)....yet everything else is made entirely by the teacher

would I report it? no, I personally wouldn �t. Would you?

I �m starting to question whether or not I should continue to contribute

Cause if I �m going to use a picture or even a text from a site...create a game, questions or whatever....upload it..just to then have it reported...and removed.....then what �s the point Confused

my 2 cents

22 Nov 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi
Thanks David for bringing it up. I had missed it.

Just wondering: Some of us think that using a picture from a copyrighted book is harmless but could it have legal repercussion on this site or its owner?

22 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

hi manonski

I don �t know about the rest of the world....but in Canada.....the laws are soft concerning websites...

it would be veryyyyy different if you were to take a pic and use it in your own book...then , you �d be in trouble.....but as for the net....kinda hard to for the authorities to control (for now)

but I think, none of us here I making millions selling our worksheets, so I personally feel that taking a pic/text/quote from a book or site is harmless, as long as the creator is not making personal profit and did not copy the source entirely. After all, we �re teachers: it �s for the greater good than we contribute these sheets...let �s think about the children! LOL

22 Nov 2009     

cutemisswang
Taiwan

Somebody said,"NOBODY on eslprintables uses their own pictures."
I use my own picturesWink. Though I �m a new member, I try to follow the rules of the sites.
In Taiwan, most flash cards we use are expensive,so I tried to scanned pictures from the books many years ago. Although I used them only in my classroom, I still felt worried, because I am "a teacher." We are supposed to teach our students what the right things are, aren �t we?
I admit that many worksheets here are really great and useful, but this can not be an excuse for using something that doesn �t belong to us. Over 1000 downloads doesn �t mean we can do something wrong. Sorry,Pastanaga. I �m not talking about your worksheet. What I �m trying to say is no matter how hard it is, we should still respect other �s copyright.
I think the most important part of a good worksheet is not just about the pictures. As we can see, some worksheets are nothing if all the pictures are taken away. I have thousands of pictures which belong to me.  All I have to do is put them on ESLprintables and then I can get much more points. It �s meaningless if I do so, because a picture book will help you more.
What I wanna do is creat useful worksheets that can help teachers around the world teach their students to learn more and better.
Thanks to everyone!

22 Nov 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Babz, I understand your point of view. What I do in my classroom and what I publish here are two different things. When I publish here or in my association, I never take from books. When it �s within the four walls of my classroom, I sometimes use a page from an old book. However, I do not buy activity books that I can �t reproduce for my students anymore.

22 Nov 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

I totally agree with babz. If we use an image we find in the net, but we create our own activities, I see no harm.

We are not publishing our worksheets to get any profit at all.
What happened to "Pastanaga" is not fair. 1000 members of this site downloaded her worksheet, and now it �s been removed! The image was obviously not drawn by herself, but the activities were her own creation.
If 1000 members decided the worksheet was OK and it was worth downloading, why removing it now?

22 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

to cutemisswang:

I �m the one that said �NOBODY on eslprintables uses their own pictures � and after checking out your contributions, I �ll say it again: NOBODY here uses their own pics

do you physically draw or use some sort of graphic design software to create your pics? From the looks of it, it doesn�t seem that you do (unless if I �m mistaken)

and don´t find that I should be refrain myself from creating useful work....just cause I found a pic from the NET....
I truly believe that the point of this site is to help eachother out....and the more contributions we have...the more we better ourselves and help our students.

thanks for the support Nuria08

22 Nov 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

I am going to post my humble opinion cuse i �ve seen a lot of discrepancies in terms of the rules... first i have to say that i �m not talking out of revenge or anything cuse i havent had any problems with my ws but i sure hate to see when rules apply to some and not others and for me that is called discrimination. secondly i think that if a picture from a book has copyrights and should not be use or are not allowed here then how come there are losts  and lots of ws with pictures taken from the net and have watermarks because they are obviously protected by copyrights (and i have to include myself in that crime cuse one of my ws has a watermarked picture, i kept it because i saw as i said lots of ws like that) ?  another question.. we are supposed to be here to help each other , then how come there is always some kind of a competition? i think this should stop and we should ask victor to state the rules more clearly with specific guidelines on what he wants or dont in our ws then there wouldnt be so many post about this topic. sorry if this causes more trouble but im a new member here and im tired of logging in just to see on the front page, day after day this issue again and again and again....

22 Nov 2009     

cutemisswang
Taiwan

To babz

I paid my student and she drew all the pictures for me.
Do they belong to me?

22 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

did she give you a receipt ?LOL 

I think you shouldn �t be so concerned with copyright rules...as you should be more concerned with child labour laws!

(you paid your student and she drew all the pictures for you?
what fantasy world do you live in.....I �m suppose to believe that...?? please..give me a break)

22 Nov 2009     

1    2    3    Next >