Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Updating a ws with some typos    

Updating a ws with some typos

zailda
Brazil

Updating a ws with some typos

As annitacm pointed, one of my wss has some typos. Instead of "infinitive" I wrote "participle", forgot to erase an article before a proper name (I was using other example) but before updating this printable, I have a question:

She pointed that my example "Has your sister ever been to US?" is not correct, and the correction is: "Has your sister ever been to the U.S.A.?"

I know the second form is correct, but since I have heard many times Americans using the former, I got astonished.  I would like to know if it �s really wrong, or  if it is substandard, or something.

For the ones who downloaded it, I hope you had checked before printing. I �m not a native speaker and I write my wss completely, I don �t copy examples, grammar rules or anything from books or sites. Sometimes I even risk writing a short story (since I �m a writer in my native language) but sometimes I have to prepare 2 or 3 wss at a time, with no time left for corrections, so I ask my students to help me find mistakes.

Most of my wss are fully editable, so if you find a mistake you can easily erase and correct it (but please, let me know by email [email protected] or through PM, so I �ll update the printable). After using a ws, when I find a mistake I usually update it, but sometimes I have so many things to do and so many deadlines to worry about that I simply forget, till the next time I have to use it.

I have many blogs, social nets, groups, students, kids, parents, classes, lessons, and to much homework to correct, housework to do... maybe I �m like a duck, that wants to fly, to swim and to walk and at the end doesn �t do anything properly. Indeed! But I �m working on it!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a nice week!

23 Nov 2009      

PhilipR
Thailand

I have never been to US would be incorrect. Even if you think you hear native speakers say this, it �s likely the is there, but they just speak too quickly to hear it. Of course, it might be that the speakers you �ve heard aren �t native - immigrants perhaps - or just have poor English. You could say My sister has never been to America though.

In a nutshell, the article is mandatory with the US/USA (I think the version without puctuation has now become the standard), as with the UK, the Bahamas and the Philippines (and possibly a few more obscure examples.

23 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Thanks, I agree with you, but after the correction I looked for some examples and found several lessons using examples "he has been to US", "They have been to US", etc. And the people who talk to me are native speakers (Americans, not immigrants) and they don �t have poor English. Isn �t it incorrect or substandard?

Thanks again.

23 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

It is incorrect indeed.Maybe it �s the result of our fast online culture including chatting, texting and emailing, where abbrevations and acronyms are getting more popular. HAND.

23 Nov 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hi Zailda!
Let me tell you that I admire you! I wouldn �t be able to do so many things...:)

May I take the opportunity to ask...how do you know when to use the preposition TO after been or gone?

For instance:

"Jake is on holidays. He has gone to Ireland."
"Where is Tome? He has gone home"

23 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

You could say/write "Has your sister ever been to the US?". The only problem with your original wueation (in this post, I haven �t seen your worksheet yet) was in leaving the definite article out. If that question was asked in Australia then people would understand that US is an abbreviation of USA, which is an abbreviation for �The United States of America �. US is short for �United States� with �America� as unspoken & understood.

Cheers,
(the) AB!

23 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@Sam
Before "home" the prepositions are not normally used.

She is at school.
She is home.

I �m going to school.
I �m going home.

@alien boy and PhilipR, thanks a lot. I �m going to update the printable.

Have a nice week!

23 Nov 2009     

volga
United States

Hi everyone,

You �re true that some people don �t say/write a lot of things "correctly". I always tell my students that there �s "playground English" and there �s Academic English and I teach them the latter. In Academic English, the only correct version will be "the US/the USA".

Cheers,
V.

23 Nov 2009     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Dear Zailda, it is incorrect to leave out the article before countries that are made up af a group of states or provinces. We would not say The France or The Germany, but we must say The British Isles, The The United Arab Emirates, the U.S. , The United Kingdom, The UK, the Bahamas, The Soviet Union.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=45510 give the rule that for collective and plural nouns and for "State", "Union", "Republic", a "The" is required. http://rpi.edu/web/writingcenter/esl.html agrees.

As to your question, if it is acceptable to use to US in substandard English, I could not find any reference to leaving out the article before the country name in substandard usage. There are many Englishes in the world? Indian English, South African English, Malaysian English, etc, and it is possible that in one of these non-American/British/Australian Englishes, people who grow up speaking these Englishes are native speakers, but their primary language exercises influence on how they speak their country �s brand of English.

A second explanation could be that if the native speakers have been in close contact with a non-English environment for an extended period of time (years), they take on some of the common mistakes of the culture where they are living because they hear the mistake so often that it starts to sound normal and becomes a part of their own language usage. This can happen to a native speaker with a spouse who speaks almost flawless English as a second language, as well. The native speaker may pick up the spouses mistakes.

23 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Thanks!

I know we use the article before "the" US or "the" UK but I didn �t know why. Thanks for the explanation, I like to know "why" things are this or that way.

23 Nov 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I�ve learnt a lot with this post ... thank you all 

23 Nov 2009