Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Teachers ´ spare time    

Teachers ´ spare time

Alina26
Romania

Teachers ´ spare time

Hello everyone!
I have a question for u, something that keeps bothering me: do u have any free time left just for urselves, to enjoy urselves after a hard working day? For example, I come from school and I start searching for materials, preparing worksheets, thinking about how to make my lessons more interesting. And I love my job a lot, I ´ve always wanted to become a teacher, but sometimes I think I ´m just too fond of preparing my lessons and I start to forget about what having a social life means. And if I try to relax a bit, the only thing crossing my mind is how to prepare the materials for the next day. Do u think it ´s normal or I might have an obsession?Smile
Do u feel the same?
Best wishes!

23 Nov 2009      

kmtr
United States

Totally normal for a teacher--we are a special breed! Most of the time when I do socialize, it ´s with other teachers and we just compare classes, lessons, students, etc.  My husband doesn ´t understand at all! :)

23 Nov 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Same here!!! And I usually get my ideas just before going to bed!! I let you imagine how restful my nights are! LOLLOLLOL

23 Nov 2009     

niacouto
Portugal

Why do I have this funny feeling of kinda "looking myself in the mirror"?!
Frenchfrog I wish I couldn ´t understand u!!!!! LOL

23 Nov 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Ahhh me too! no social life either... and exboyfriends never understood my job Stern Smile... but I love it!

23 Nov 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Thank goodness! I ´m not the only one! To me it doesn ´t feel like an obsession, more like a passion! I love teaching English so much! Sometimes I can ´t stop working. There ´s always something to be done. A year or two ago I became a member of a young women ´s group ( I had to get out!) consisting mainly of... other teachers!! Quite funny when I found out! Yes, we must be a different breed!

Kristien

23 Nov 2009     

yolprica
Spain

It happens the same to me but now I go out with my friends once a week and we can ´t talk about our job (most of them are teachers too) except when we have something funny to tell the others and it ´s like going to the psychiatrist (I suppose) because I come back home relaxed and happy. We NEED TO UNWIND from time to time.
Hugs from Spain
Yolanda

23 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

*nods*

Yes, it is VERY normal, I ´m afraid. I love teaching and I am the same as you are. I get off work and I have stuff to prepare for the next day... and the funny part is that I don ´t even see it as a chore. I enjoy thinking up what to do next with a certain student, how so and so needs a special revision activity, etc. And yes, my ex-boyfriends didn ´t quite understand me either... haha...

Goodness, Frenchfog... you think that ´s bad! I am IN bed sometimes and I get ideas and they haunt me until morning!! lol

Yes, we teachers are a special breed! LOL

23 Nov 2009     

Nessie33
Germany

I think it is a really  our problem- but a good problem! I like it , sometimes I wake up in the night  with a new idea and it works!! So I wish everybody to enjoy this feeling and be proud Clap Thumbs Up

23 Nov 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Sinziana!
I was startled when I saw your post as I had just been having the same thoughts. And I must say your description is very accurate. I feel exactly the same! My days are so full that time passes so quickly, one day it´s Monday and the next it´s Friday already.
I don ´t know about you or the other people here but in my case it feels more like an obsession.

23 Nov 2009     

Amandina
Switzerland

Same here! I just can ´t stop and it ´s fun. We have a truly amazing job!

23 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >