Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > one more Christmas doubt :-)    

one more Christmas doubt :-)

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

God,
Good Jesus

SO much trouble just for a few shining little stars?on a Cx tree??  Is it? Or, no, and I didn �t get what you were talking about?
I am really , well,... my eyes crossed, what am I going to say to my kids? What is what?
What if, sorry for the trouble, a few pictures and definitions, LOL, a kind of PICTIONARY, seriois, so amny things which are , all, slightly different from what I thought, now , your fault, BUT I AM CONFUSED.

Help with these bulbs, balls and all the rest - I love xmas and I feel bad, I don �t know these things
We could have a Google search and post what "WE" call each one of them, surtely we would get a group work pictionary.
If you go for it, count on me , for tomorrow, now, �s half midnight, , must go to MY WONDERFUL BED.

Hugs
linda

26 Nov 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Linda,
I would appreciate you not taking God �s name in vain like this.  Why is it no one ever says Buddha or Allah?  Its � always God �s name taken in vain. HMM.. 
There are numerous words for the same objects. That �s what makes English such a verbose language. 
The bulbs are the lights and the balls are the ornaments that are round and hang on the tree.
If you really want to read something interesting, study the pagan origins of the Christmas customs.  Ladybird Publishing has a good book on it, The Story of Our Christmas Customs.

26 Nov 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Christmas Baubles

26 Nov 2009     

katpak
Poland

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

�bauble �
1 a cheap piece of jewellery
2   British English  a brightly coloured decoration that looks like a ball and is used to decorate a    Christmas tree

a noun �bulb � refers to light, there was no information that it may be used interchangeably with �bauble �

�ball � something formed or rolled into a round shape, also no info whether it can be used with reference to Xmas

26 Nov 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

Well, I know what dictionaries write. But it �s very interesting to know what words are used in the real life. The information given by native speakers is really valuable. (BTW, many native speakers hide under the flags of different countries.)

Thanks a lot to all of you.  Hug

26 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2